PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Try @ 3D with the Bot

crash5050
03-11-2013, 09:23 PM
It didn't turn out so well. Strange things were happening, hard to explain, but a picture is worth a 1000 words. So here is about 30K words.

I will follow this post with what is was to look like in the rendering and the aspire file to go with it minus the cannons.

David

crash5050
03-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Here is more info.

I am not sure what was causing the uneven tooling as the 1/8th inch ball nose went around but it seems like it was trying to create a bowl. I am sure it was something I did during setup.

Anybody have any ideas? What do I need to do to make the lettering on the top and bottom banners visible?

Files were too big to attach, so I dropped them on dropbox
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33903258/regimental.crv3d
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33903258/regimental.bmp
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33903258/3D%20INSIGNIA.stl

Sincerely

Stumped

myxpykalix
03-11-2013, 09:58 PM
A couple things i see based on your posted pic and your bitmap is, it looks like your router is not 90 degrees to the table. It has to be perfectly aligned or those divits and the looks of the "rows" shows it is not straight up and down.

Also based on the bitmap it looks like you took a small picture and tried to blow it up and make it bigger causing the pixilization either that or you must have carved it all with one bit. You need to make the text into its own vbit toolpath

jhedlund58
03-11-2013, 10:04 PM
OR... perhaps is your spoilboard got some flex in it?

MogulTx
03-11-2013, 10:04 PM
What Jack Said. Router /spindle need to sbe 90 degrees to bed.

Also, wood moves as it gets machined. It may well have moved around a little on you.... something to consider.

crash5050
03-11-2013, 10:26 PM
The text is embedded within the STL file. I will check the bit to board deflection tomorrow, if it makes any difference, when I machined the roughing tool path, it was as smoot as a baby's bottom, but, my ball nose bit may be deflecting.

Thanks for the info.

David

gc3
03-11-2013, 11:27 PM
ballnose bit is not deflecting looks to be material movement spindle misalignment and file problem run the same file with a raster toolpath and see similar problems if you did not see this in preview then it is machine issues also could be a resolution problem with the text

rej
03-11-2013, 11:55 PM
I can't help you with the lines on the top because it looks like a machine issue, but, what I would do with the text is place a vector around that area. then add a .05 flat component or maybe even a .01... enough to make the area hide the text you have in the stl.
then add the text vectors, matching the font as good as possible.
now you can vcarve the text by checking the box to add to a 3d component.

sounds hard, but it is really easy to do and the results will be very clean text.

steve_g
03-12-2013, 01:19 AM
David...

Puzzling lines... Any chance the material was "rocking" on the bed? How were you holding it down?

SG

phil_o
03-12-2013, 07:39 AM
As Jack mentioned your text will come out much much better if you V-Carve the text.

crash5050
03-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Steve, I had it double Sided Taped on both ends, and a vac motor pulling it.

steve_g
03-12-2013, 03:42 PM
The lines are typical of the marking you get when surfacing with a out of plumb bit... however these lines go though the graphic and the spacing is greater than what I assume a bit width to be, that's why they are puzzling to me.

SG

rb99
03-13-2013, 06:33 AM
What version SB is yours? Could the Z be loose or have loose bearings? Is the Z loosing a step?

If you only taped the material top and bottom that would allow the board to bounce in between the tape.

zeykr
03-13-2013, 07:13 AM
Are you leaning on the table every so often to watch it cut?

Had an older machine where the spoilboard extended out over the last support a little and when someone leaned on it just slightly to watch what was happening it would produce lines similar to that.

crash5050
03-13-2013, 12:30 PM
I am going to remove the scrapers this evening and make sure my Z and Y are moving correctly. I am not quite sure how to check the plumb of the bit except with my level, and it shows dead on bubble. I am thinking the tape on either end was allowing the board to "bounce". I am going to cut it again with a shorter board and run all 4 vac motors to make sure the spoilboard is not giving during the cut.

David

jerry_stanek
03-13-2013, 01:06 PM
surface your spoil board before you recut it and see what that looks like

gc3
03-13-2013, 01:29 PM
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16866&highlight=tramel+axis

Ajcoholic
03-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Are you drawing a vector around the 3D shapes and isolating the finish tool path to cut within that boundary? It looks like you are using the 1/8" ball end to cut the entire face of the project rather than just the 3D parts, with a larger regular end mill to face the big flat areas.

Also, the text has to be done with a V bit, as was stated.

I would clamp or screw the pc down to make sure its going to stay put.

AJC

crash5050
03-13-2013, 11:40 PM
I just ran a surfacing on the spoilboard, man was it all outta whack. I too off .15 inches from it. Now it is level and no ridges or anything like that, and I put a 2x4 on the bed and couldn't pry it off with a screwdriver with the vaccume motors running. So, I think the bit is plumb with the bed now, at least the level says so.

I don't know how to get the text out of the model, so either I am going to have to beg someone here on the board to fix it for me or figure out how to make it work as is.

I tried putting a vector around the 3d object, but when I do that it makes it a negative object on the preview, I must be missing something somewhere. Back to the tutorials.

David

crash5050
03-14-2013, 12:16 AM
I hace the DFX file, if anyone can manage to model it. I am working on it but my skills at modeling are weak at best.

twelchPTM
03-14-2013, 07:38 PM
additional thought... I my self am just delving into the 3d capabilities of the bot and experienced a similar situation, I was cutting an item inspired by another post here on the forums and I set my raster andgle to 90 degrees because I thought it would produce a nicer cut in the particular piece of wood i have. When the bit picked up and moved to a different part of the object it left a small seam where the perviously cut section and the newly cut section met. the seams where not as extreme as whet you have but when i reset the raster angle to produce a more continuous toolpath the lines went away.

Coleman Becker
03-16-2013, 05:48 PM
What machine do you own?