PDA

View Full Version : PW will not load 3D probe file. Software or newb problem?

damesqua
03-12-2013, 08:11 AM
------
Set up details:
D2418 with factory spindle
SB control software 3.6.38
Partworks 3D 1.002
Partworks 3.504
-------------

Problem: After I probe and convert a 3D object to a dxf surface it will not open in partworks, the screen just flashes and nothing happens. I copied my procedure below. It will open in partworks3D but some areas that I know got probed are missing (specifically the 10% of the x axis of the model.

To solve it I have tried probing as a sbp and also dxf with the same results both times.

I have tried reconverting [TB].

I have even tried removing dashes, capital letters and underscores from file names.

I had noticed some other glitches (most notably graphics problems) so I figured it was software. I had two versions of pW installed and I read on the forum that could be an issue so I reinstalled the software from the sB thumb drive to the versions listed above and the problem persists.

Thanks for your help, I just had my first successful probe and recut a few days ago so I'm loving the bot!!!

Procedure:
C3

Install probe hand tight
Raise Z to clear work
C3

Locate start point
Also locate center
Move to start point (bottom left)
Zero z axis slightly above table
Right down start point
Z3
TC
Save as sbp (or save as dxf)

Remove probe
Preview mode
FP probe file
Tool path preview cut

TB to create tool path
Load sbp
save as dxf surface
Import into pw (or pw3D)

-------------------

adrianm
03-12-2013, 08:28 AM
You can't import 3D dxf files into Partworks. It's a 2D package.

You would import the file into Partworks 3D and toolpath it there. Save the file in Partworks 3D and then import it into Partworks if you want to incorporate it with Vcarve or other 2D operations.

damesqua
03-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the reply Adrian-

Initially I was working with the knowledge that PW was only 2D but I ran into a situation where I needed to 1. erase a rather large wood chip that was probed into a surface and 2. combine 2 probe file (top and bottom).

I couldn't find the tools to edit the surface (erase the wood chip) in PW3d, could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks again,
D

adrianm
03-12-2013, 01:49 PM
You can't do any editing to a file in PartWorks 3D. It's a machining only package.

You would need Aspire or some other modelling software to edit a 3D file.