PDA

View Full Version : V-carve inlay

steve_g
03-18-2013, 09:45 PM
My first attempt at V-carve-inlay as described and Developed by Paul Zank and Damien Durrant. I inlayed a Purple Heart pixy into Bird's Eye Maple... I learned enough from this exercise to avoid very fine features... All that's left of the pixy's eyes are the glue lines!

I'm actually impressed with the method and will try some less detailed images soon... I'd like to try a multi step multi wood/color project next.

SG

myxpykalix
03-18-2013, 10:07 PM
You're such a showoff Steve! lol:eek:
That actually looks really neat. The few times i've tried an inlay i was plagued by designs that had skinny lines in the design that would up disappearing but to the bit/depth/slop factor i had on my table so this looks like it turned out real nice.

What bit/depth combination did you use? good job!:D

Brady Watson
03-18-2013, 10:12 PM
Very nice, Steve. Thanks for posting! :cool:

-B

jdervin
03-18-2013, 10:54 PM
Love it! Looking forward to your multi wood/color results as well.

Doug Smith
03-18-2013, 11:46 PM
Steve,
That is wonderfully done. I think the total composition works, so very well. The inlay portion is masterful.

Doug

steve_g
03-19-2013, 02:04 AM
"What bit/depth combination did you use?"

Jack... if you recall, this method uses V-carved artwork and a matching "negative" V-carving... so the distance the vectors are apart determine the depth. I used a 60° V-bit. My first attempt resulted in many "lost" lines. I re-worked the vectors to simplify and thicken them. If I were to redo this or similar art work I would try to find a narrower V-bit. In retrospect, it was probably unreasonable to expect the eyes to do well at any angle and I was fortunate they look as well as they do.

SG

Hoytbasses
03-20-2013, 06:25 AM
wow.

excellent

kfh

tomwillis
03-20-2013, 08:24 AM
Steve - excellent work. I m trying to do a briefcase now, with an inlay - but not nearly as intricate as yours. Question - do you think or have you tried a Carving Liner bit? I have one - but have never used it.
Tom

steve_g
03-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Thomas...

To be honest, I had never heard of a carving liner bit... I had to Google it. The one I found was a 9° V-bit. While I think my inlay would have been better with a sharper angle bit this seems extreme! I'm going to pick up a 30° next. I would encourage you to try the technique with your liner bit... and tell me how it did! My gut feel... The beauty of the V-inlay method is the stability/strength of the part you're going to inlay. No itty bitty fragile pieces. I'm afraid you might loose some of the foolproofness of the method and have some breakage of the sharp angles while routing.

Try it!

SG

Bob Eustace
03-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Lovely work Steve! I love this process as its so forgiving on projects with less detail than yours. The glue up can have a 10 degree slope and still work. We do heaps of coasters with an Amoora motorhome in the middle and then the name done in Cyprus Pine. Have found you get zero chipping and loss of detail if you cut the bulk off on the bandsaw them keep passing it through the drum sander with 80 grit. Another massive advantage is you can use all your vee cutters that you have dropped or run into a screw with to make the male plug as thats non critical. Look forward to seeing your next effort!

steve_g
03-25-2013, 09:56 AM
The jewelry box was delivered to the very happy parents of the birthday girl... Notice that in the "open" photo, one tray has rounded corners and one has square. This is how I space my trays... the rounded corners miss the corner blocks that the top tray with square corners sits on. I'd be interested in how others do this... I don't like my trays to just sit on top each other assuming that every piece of its contents are flush or below the top surface.

SG

Joe Porter
03-25-2013, 10:01 AM
That's beautiful, Steve......joe

myxpykalix
03-25-2013, 03:49 PM
ANOTHER nice box Steve. At first glance i thought, other then the lid that's kind of plain looking but then i looked closer to see the birds eye detail of the wood and sometimes the less ornate it is, letting the beautiful detail of the wood come thru the better:eek: Good job buddy!

steve_g
03-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Thanks Jack...

I had a hard time deciding what to do with the main body of the box. I rendered various string inlay and carvings but in the end I decided to just let the beauty of the wood speak for itself. This box is in stark contrast to one I made for the mother several years earlier... That one was dark wood (Mesquite) with 99.9 % carving on all surfaces. (I can't seem to find a photo) My instructions were "She likes pixies and Celtic knots, and oh if you can work in some of that birds eye stuff I think she'll like it" She (the mother) laughed at the irony of my design... It's every thing hers isn't!

SG