PDA

View Full Version : Woodtek panel carrier???

mysterium
03-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Is anyone using this? The price is "right" if it works & holds up to use...

http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?PARTNUM=149-003&LARGEVIEW=ON

I am looking for some feedback about this panel carrier.

It seems that it places a lot of faith in the grip of the flip clamps... And a lot of faith in the height adjustment tightening bolt...

It would seem that at the low heights setting of 33 1/2" say for a table saw the it would be a tremendous amount of force in both directions ( the 48" cantilever -->, and especially the 96" cantilever ---->) on a 3/4" piece of MDF! Plus the level clamps better not loose their grip!

jim

jerry_stanek
03-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Here is one you could build.

http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/main/wb280-caddy03.html

mysterium
03-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Hi Jerry!

"Thank You!" for posting the link to the shop built panel mover.

I have seen this design and several other types of home built models but this mover like virtually all the other versions other than the ceiling mounted vacuum systems are fixed at a specific height above the floor.

The table saw, the temporary table I use for my Festool rail saws & the Shopbot are all different heights. Plus my three trailers for hauling, my vertical or on edge material cart (like a Home Depot cart) and my pickup that has a tool box to the height of the tail gate closed (49" off ground) all are at different heights :(. Thus I range from 14" to 49", although I am really concerned about the 32" to 50" range.

This carrier assumes that the panels are loaded vertical, thus you could slide a sheet out from a trailer or truck regardless of heights & stand the panel up (I have 10' ceilings) and move it to the location (table saw, work table or Shopbot) which also are at different heights.

This all assume that this actually works "as advertised" and holds together under actual use...

Again Jerry, "Thank You!" for posting the link.
jim

mysterium
03-21-2013, 05:48 PM
I find the lack of any feed back on this panel carrier interesting...

When I asked the salesman at Woodworker's Supply for feedback/experience about this product he said

"We have sold hundreds of these over the last 8 years... And I've never heard a complaint about this product." I said "you've sold hundreds?" "Yes, hundreds..."

I have searched & searched the internet for reviews before I made this post and found literally nothing in the way of feedback; positive or negative.

I would have thought that on this forum where people regularly handle sheets of 4' x 8' material or someone over on Woodweb would have posted about this over the "last 8 years" since Woodworkers/Woodtek sold hundreds of these...

I'd love to build a vacuum lift like Gary Campbell but it's over kill for my needs.

jim

gene
03-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Did he used to sell cars by chance? I personally think it is a waste of money:mad:

Brady Watson
03-21-2013, 07:40 PM
I saw this years ago...I would not be happy with it personally. I made my own hydraulic table from a HF hyd table & some lumber. I want to build or buy a flip cart, like a Hafele, ShopCarts (http://www.shopcartsusa.com/) or Jet (http://www.toolbarn.com/jet-140130.html), but I am not shelling out $1000+ for one any time soon.

-B

mysterium
03-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Brady "Thank You!!!" for the links

I missed an opportunity years ago for a Hafele at way less than half the $1,000 price tag today, but at the current price on plus side of a $1,000 bill, it put me out of the market!

I thought about modifying a Harbor Freight motorcycle hydraulic a couple times because it could have also be used as an adjustable height work table. But never got the idea off the drawing board. :o

The $150 shipped, the price of the Woodtek & small foot print make it attractive, but it could be a $150 boat anchor :eek:

I need to do "something" because it's to hard on my old back to handle these sheets any more!

jim

waynelocke
03-22-2013, 01:02 AM
The Shopcart is expensive but comes completely assembled and ready to go. It holds 11 or 12 3/4" panels and is reasonably easy to flip from horizontal to vertical and vise versa. I bring my panels in on a hoist and virtually never lift a 4 X 8. I store my panels on the cart and don't have racks. Being a one man shop, I don't buy bundles. Expensive but much less than a hernia. I couldn't live without it.

Brady Watson
03-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Although it's not a cart, I love these things: Stanley Panel Carry (http://www.stanleytools.com/showPic.asp?PID=93-301&PIC=catalog_images/mid_res/93-301_mid_res.jpg&SDesc=High%20Visibility%20Yellow%20Panel%20Carry)

When I 1st saw it I was thinking, "What the heck is that plastic piece of junk going to do?"...A LOT actually! I cannot believe how much easier it makes picking up sheets and moving them by hand. For some reason, sheets feel lighter...as long as you have it balanced on center - no problem. I think Lowes or Depot carries them now over near the plywood & drywall tools.

-B

gene
03-22-2013, 11:16 AM
have you looked on ebay for something that could work

steve_g
03-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Jim...

It doesn't seem as though anyone has actual experience with the WOODTEK panel carrier... Would you please hurry up and buy it and tell me what you think?

SG

Brady Watson
03-22-2013, 12:43 PM
I've got lots of experience with engine stands & DeStaco clamps...does that count? :p

Seriously, It just looks awkward from someone who works with his hands for a living...and to be fair, it doesn't seem to be a bad price for a steel folding engine stand, full swivel wheels, brackets and some clamps...

-B

steve_g
03-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Brady...

In my Two car garage size shop I have ... A ShopBot, cabinet base table saw, twin Pedestal buffer, floor stand drill press, spindle sander, belt sander, 13" planer, 24x72 work bench, Oneida cyclone DC, computer station, 24x72x96 storage rack, 48x96x24 vertical storage rack, Large air compressor, 18" band saw, and a 6" jointer... Oh, and me and my bad back and work in process! I physically can't get a good cart in where it needs to be... If the woodtek thing kind of works, well I might be tempted.

SG

crash5050
03-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Was kinda awkward to load in my pickup, but it works. And the price was dead on what I wanted to spend on a cart.

:)

mysterium
03-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the post Dave.

Dave I have the same cart in "orange" which works good for moving sheets around, although I wish it had locking wheels cause it moves around too easy when our trying to load or unload it.

But it is the "twisting motion" of going turning the sheet to vertical and back to horizontal that is killing my back! i.e. unloading the sheets 1st in a horizontal orientation from a trailer or pickup, then twisting to vertical to the orange material cart (ouch!!!) , then back to horizontal to a temporary work table, or table saw, or shopbot. One wrong move anymore could cause days of pain!

Maybe I really don't need a "flip cart" but just a young back! ;)

I did follow Gene advise & looked on eBay, I've been watching for years now & it seems like drawing to an inside straight.... And unfortunately unless it was local the freight would probably be the deal breaker.

Thank for the feedback & ideas,
jim

myxpykalix
03-23-2013, 01:00 AM
Why not check into a "Drywall lift"?. The ones i've seen allow you to place the panel on vertically then flip it into a horizontal position
(or do i have that bass-ackwards?)

It also gives you the ability to raise the height while loaded. You'd have to check to see if it is at the right height in relation to your saw tabletop or bot table:D

mysterium
03-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Hi Jack,

Thanks for responding to the post. And like the many experienced "Senior" members here on the Shopbot Forum, "Thank You!!!" for the many insightful posts over the years that those of us with less experience in the Shopbot World have gained insights by your sharing... (like Brady Watson, Gary Campbell, Gene... & many more!). :)

I've owned one of these drywall lifts in the past (after more than 3,000 ft of 5/8" - 4x12's I NEVER wanted to see the *#@&ing thing again!!! :eek::eek::eek:).

I always tripped over folding legs which always seemed to be "in the way..." that extended in a triangular pattern that seemed to have a large foot print. The large wheel on mine was on one side of the post and high off the ground. I think that although it "flipped" from vertical to horizontal, the minimum height (from my failing memory...) would be too high to feed most machines. Plus it would have to be modified to allow the sheet to slide into the shopbot, work table or table saw. I think I considered modifying the lift at the time but at least the one I owned didn't seem worth the effort to modify.

Jack, "Thank You!!!" again,
jim

Brady Watson
03-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Jim,
Another option to consider is buying the larger of the 2 sized hydraulic lift carts from "Horrible Freight"...Then secure some dimensional lumber to the top of the table (I used 2X12s) to allow it to lift to a more useful height for unloading the truck and loading material onto the Bot. If I have a bunch of sheets to unload, I just back the truck up to the shop, roll the cart to the gate, pump it up to truck height and drag the sheets off - No lifting!

Same deal when it comes time to load sheets onto the Bot...roll cart over to machine, raise/lower hydraulics and slide sheets onto the machine...No lifting! You are right, the 'twist' is really hard on your back. In fact, I never do this anymore. I take the Stanley panel lift to pick up vertical oriented sheets (ones that might be in the sheet rack or against the wall) and hook them, then lift & drop flat right onto the hydraulic table. This eliminates the 'twist' that really hammers your back. A flip-cart would essentially combine these two actions and eliminate the need to ever have to lift a full sheet.

-B

mysterium
03-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Hi Brady!

I've been re-thinking this based on your post about using a modified Harbor Freight hydraulic lift table.

The more I thought about your statement "A flip-cart would essentially combine these two actions and eliminate the need to ever have to lift a full sheet." Plus it could double as a work table for breaking down sheets with my Festool rail saws.

Brady in thinking about this I have couple question based on your set up & experience using the modified hydraulic cart.

Approx how long are your 2 x 12's & how much do they extend on each end?

What about the handle? It folds forward... it seems it would need to fold backwards for a sheet to be balanced & not be in the way of a lowered sheet.

To raise the hydraulic cylinder with the foot pump, is it awkward to do it with a sheet on it? Are you still able to balance a sheet and raise it from the rear or do you have to raise it from the side?

I really like the idea " drag the sheets off - No lifting!" And no twisting!!!
"Thank You!!!"
jim

Brady Watson
03-24-2013, 02:32 PM
Hey Jim,
The 2x12 box essentially sits on the outside of the metal table top (I think like 24x32 or something) with 2x10s inside to keep it from falling down to the floor. This locks the 'topper' in so that it won't slide off. Most of the time I am not doing a whole lot of 4x8 sheets, so it stays like that...and the 2x12 topper can easily come off.

For really heavy jobs, and the reason it was constructed in the 1st place (1000 LBS of 1/2" brass sheet), I added some 2X8s to the top so that it would create a relief area for ratchet straps to feed through, then under the table. This keeps the whole thing from toppling over. Lighter jobs do not require this.

The handle...yes. It lays back towards you and I have 2 bungee cords that clip onto a couple of screws. It ain't pretty, but it works to hold the handle up against the topper while I raise & lower the bed. I suppose the handle could be taken off if you wanted to get fancy & mount it to the 2x12s or something...but that would require some hacking.

For longer jobs (like a 72x144" solid maple door I just did...) I tag on two 2x4s (8' or 10' work) to the topper. This gives the material stack some stability against sagging. If I don't need the longer length, I just remove them and put them aside...this is of course after I mark them in big Sharpie black letters because knowing me, I'd use them for something else!

Yes - you can pump it up from the side, especially if you have longer lengths of material. The pump effort is very light...less than you'd think even with some weight on there! It so easy in fact, you can pump it up by hand with no sweat.

At some point I am going to build a flip cart with hydraulic or electric lift, since that would make a lot more sense for this type of work. Yes - it is possible to make it a hydraulic lift workbench of sorts, but you'd want to chock up the wheels really well to lock it in. It's amazing how much an inch or two makes when talking about workbench height. 37" seems to be the most comfortable to me...I determined this with the cart, pumping it up until I felt most comfortable.

If you keep your eyes peeled you can pick these up on sale. I bought one of the big ones and 2 of the smaller ones. They are really helpful in the shop - and not only for woodworking! They just as easily transformed themselves into VW & Corvair engine carts & 'stands'. It was pretty sweet to be able to roll one of them under the VW, pump it up to ideal height & drop the engine down & roll it out! The handle was removed, of course.

-B

mysterium
03-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Hi Brady!

Humbly "Thank You!!!"

Your verbal explanation of how you modified & use this hydraulic cart was wonderful! The bungee cord handle holder is "low tech brilliance"!

"No Flip" is much better the gyrations of going from horizontal to vertical & back to horizontal!!!

I called my local Harbor Freight & they have one on hand! I'll probably pick one up tomorrow along with the demential lumber to complete the modifications.

Again a "Big Thank You!!!" to all the feedback of this post. And a "BIG THANK YOU to Brady!!!!!" :):):):)

jim

Brady Watson
03-24-2013, 03:43 PM
No problem Jim. Glad to help ;)

-B

steve_g
03-25-2013, 06:35 PM
I exhausted myself carrying a sheet of 3/4" Medex from outside storage to my shop this morning... I started to wonder what I was doing to my new hip. I went to HF and picked up the hydraulic lift table this afternoon... Of course it didn't work out of the box, after reading reviews I knew it wouldn't. I discovered that the way it's packed, the release cable gets kinked. straighten out the kink and the release valve can now close and up goes the table! I reversed the hardware on the handle and now it folds down away from the table and makes a great push/pull steering mechanism. My route from storage to shop is all concrete so it would appear that this is going to be a fantastic solution to growing old!

SG