PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting started...but having trouble

tree
05-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Ok...so far.. As a noob I feel I have been doing well on this set up, but I have hit a problem. I have a standard 96x60 with two spindles. I had some trouble with the software but talked with tech support and that was fixed. Now I am to the Prox switches and tech support is closed for the weekend (and its a holiday weekend). I am not sure whats going on. During the "setup" process when it is setting up from the zero I saved on the X, Y it hits the hard stops. Im sure this is not good on the machince so.... I just stopped. Where could I made the mistake? How Prox switchs actualy work? And if anyone in the Charlotte area likes doing setups... I have a grill and make great cheeseburgers....lol Thats about as much as I have to offer as of now.

Towersonline
05-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Brian, Try this: With the Shopbot turned on place a peice of metal, screwdriver blade etc under the prox switch. Does it light up? If not check yout wiring. If it lights are the targets properly adjusted? To test this Run the bot until its over a target Adjust the target height until the Prox switch light comes on. Let me know how this works.

Bill Thorpe

steve4460
05-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi Brian

You might need the maximum travel on your "X" I have my proxes setup so that it will triggers when the wheels come with in 1" of either end of the x rail and the hardstops are right at the end of the rack make shure that they are tight . That is the only thing saving you if the proxes fail .If yours is a PRS then that might work slightly differend . Just watch that you don't run the gantry of the track .
Have fun and save botting

sv

srwtlc
05-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey Brian,

First off, do you have a PRS with the new style NC switches or a PRT that may have NO switches.

If you have a PRS/NC setup, be sure that they are wired up correctly and that they are lit up. Test as Bill mentioned above to see if they go off and the inputs (2 and 3) light up. I had to adjust mine closer than stated in the manual for the best and most consistent results.

Another thing to check is if they are enabled in the software. Hit VN (Values/Input switch Modes) and see if they are "ON" and that 2 & 3 are "Normally Closed".

Start there and If you need some help, I'll be around most of the weekend. ;-)

Scott

bstern
05-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Hey Brian,

Looks like your just down the road.

I'm afraid I would not be of much help.

I just put the table together today on my new PRS Alpha 60 X 96. Hope you get every thing working.

Good luck,
Bob Stern
Carolina-Custom
Charlotte

richards
05-26-2007, 06:09 AM
Brian,
Do you have the Proximity Switch Installation Guide? When I installed my proximity switches, using the guide as a reference, everything worked as expected. The guide is part of the documentation package under the support section on Shopbot's main site. (You can find it here (http://www.shopbottools.com/files/SBG00135060526ProxSwitchesPrtalpha.pdf).)

Note that there are three connections per switch, Red wire to +5V, Green wire to Ground, Black wire to Input #3.

tree
05-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the help..... I was able to get up and running. I just had to reset the height of the prox switches and a few other odds and ends, but all is well. Now to move on to the second head.... Cant find much info on this part. I think I may have some sort of offset wrong on it but I cant find where to set it.

steve4460
05-27-2007, 03:26 PM
Hi Brian

That is in the MY_VARIABELS file in your sbparts Directory some where .
Bot on

sv

tree
05-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Just to clarify...the machine has not been any trouble.... My inexperiance is the trouble.

Thanks Stephan... another bug stepped on. Well I think I can say my troubles are over. Now I just need to get to work and work out MY bugs cause I dont think the Bot has anymore. The only thing I and looking for is a how to send the C2 command to the A axis. I know its there.

Was able to surface the plenum and I am working on my zones tonight. I mostly work with 5x5 baltic birch ( If the Russians will ever get back to making it ) so I plan on having four 30x30 zones and two 36x30 zones to fill the table out for 4x8 and 5x10 sheets. So far so good.