PDA

View Full Version : Red and White OAK

Dish
04-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Would these woods be alright for an outdoor sign at 1 1/2" thickness with v-grooved lettering?

mark_stief
04-22-2013, 09:29 AM
White oak would be alright with some kind of treatment they use it on semi trailers for the floors But red oak I would not put it outside at all won't last very long

dlcw
04-22-2013, 11:43 AM
I've done several outdoor signs and furniture pieces in white oak. I finish it with Deftoil which is an outdoor furniture finish. I tell the customer they should recoat with the Deftoil every couple of years to keep it looking new.

Red oak, no.

Chuck Keysor
04-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Brian, as noted, red oak will not last outside. But white oak is really great material, and is historically used for exterior door threshholds because of its durability.

Now, how can you tell red oak from white oak? Often the color is a good indicator, but not always. The best way, is to take a board and suck on the end grain. Red oak is very porous, and you can easily suck air right through the open capillaries. White oak is not porous and when you suck on the end of a board, it won't let much air through, if any. I read this in Fine Woodworking Magazine many years ago.

Chuck

dlcw
04-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Brian, as noted, red oak will not last outside. But white oak is really great material, and is historically used for exterior door threshholds because of its durability.

Now, how can you tell red oak from white oak? Often the color is a good indicator, but not always. The best way, is to take a board and suck on the end grain. Red oak is very porous, and you can easily suck air right through the open capillaries. White oak is not porous and when you suck on the end of a board, it won't let much air through, if any. I read this in Fine Woodworking Magazine many years ago.

Chuck

Sorry, I'm not sucking on a piece of white oak. :eek: Icky, icky

I don't know what would come out of the pores. :eek:

I think I'll go with the color (and weight) differentiator.... :)

JohnG
04-26-2013, 09:44 PM
NOT doubting your information isn't correct...

Have to wonder if Chuck isn't giggling to himself, wondering how many would actually suck on a board.

Whole new meaning to....."become ONE with the wood". :rolleyes:

zeykr
04-27-2013, 10:31 AM
You never use toothpicks? :D

JohnG
04-27-2013, 05:21 PM
LOL@Ken.....
You have a point, although..... I never associated the use of a toothpick with "sucking out the open capillaries of a board".

I'm only going to use those plastic floss sticks from now on.:D

Chuck Keysor
04-27-2013, 07:41 PM
Honest guys, the test of sucking on the end of a piece of oak is legitimate. I even used it yesterday, when I found a long oak board in a resale shop. The board had a primer coat on it, but I could tell it was oak. I sucked on the end, and found it was red oak, and so I didn't want it. (I waited until no one was watching to do the test.) But if you try this test, you will be converted. Chuck

bleeth
04-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Hey Brian:
White Oak only-same answer as on 101!!

Dish
04-28-2013, 08:10 AM
Thanks Dave!