PDA

View Full Version : New to CNC machining

ShopDoc
04-25-2013, 02:28 PM
The world of CNC machining has made some great strides in the past few years. I’m doing research to better define this movement. If you could reply to the following questions that would be greatly appreciated.
1 What bits do you most commonly use?
2. What improvements in bits would you like to see?
3. What projects are you making?
4. Are you doing this for pleasure or a business?

Thanks, ShopDoc

kartracer63
04-25-2013, 02:34 PM
Marlen,

Are you the managing editor of "Wood Magazine"?

Are you asking for personal reasons, or are you using the results from your questions in your publication?

ShopDoc
04-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Eric, I was with WOOD for 27 years, but am no longer. I am doing some market research on CNC and router bits. Thanks for asking.

bleeth
04-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Hi Marlen.
Who (or what type of company if you are not allowed to say) is your research for?

kartracer63
04-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Marlen,

Are you going to start selling CNC Routers and/or Router bits?

Are you asking on behalf of another business?

Or, are you asking out of curiosity, or are you planning on buying a Shopbot CNC Router of your own.

Are you planning on starting a business based on the use of a CNC?

I'm not trying to bust your chops too much, but I'd like to know, more specifically, why you're asking.

adrianm
04-25-2013, 03:39 PM
1. 6.35mm twin flute down spirals, 3.18mm twin flute down spirals, three flute 60 and 90 degree V-Bits.

2. Longer choice of cutting lengths in under 6.35mm bits. Longer lasting life in man-made materials.

3. 90% conversion of MDF sheets to parts for direct B2B sales. 10% the same but with recycled plastic sheet.

4. Business.

steve_g
04-25-2013, 03:43 PM
"What improvements in bits would you like to see?"

A down spiral V-bit.

SG

paul_z
04-25-2013, 04:53 PM
I'd like an upspiral V Bit. I'm not sure how you'd eject chips with a down spiral V bit, but if it can be done, I'd vote for the down spiral. Hmmmm. What about a compression spiral V bit??? It would allow one to cleanly scratch the surface with the down spiral using a profile cut and then do the real work with the mostly upspiral part of the bit. You'd probably burn woods like cherry but it might be worth some development time.

When cleaning up the sides of a v cut, a straight edged V Bit is whacking away like an impact driver. I'm suprised they work as well as they do.

Paul Z

ShopDoc
04-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Are you going to start selling CNC Routers and/or Router bits? No, I do woodworking strictly as a hobby and want to keep it that way.

Are you asking on behalf of another business? Yes

Or, are you asking out of curiosity, or are you planning on buying a Shopbot CNC Router of your own. I am just trying to learn more about the usage of the machines and bits at this point. I work out of a one-stall garage and space is extremely tight.

Are you planning on starting a business based on the use of a CNC? I am not planning on starting a business, but I am very interested in what others are using their machines for.

Nancy
04-26-2013, 10:03 AM
It would be good to state the name of the company/business for which you are asking rather than have it appear to be coming from you personally. Also noted is that there is little information included in your profile.

chiloquinruss
04-26-2013, 09:20 PM
I originally bought my machine as my dream retirement toy. Once I got my machine and friends and family found what I could produce the list of projects started to grow. Then I started getting requests from outsiders. Being one that didn't want to hurt anyone trying to make a living doing this type of work I don't do jobs for free! I did a local market survey and found what others were charging and I added 15% to their pricing structure as I really don't want to be in business doing repetive stuff! Anyow I still paid for my machine in less than a year (not being in business), and am still just a hobby workshop. I have the past 2 years been doing mostly really small stuff (1/4 inch to the foot scale stuff) with sintra and 1/16th in. ballnose in the model railroad venue. Using Aspire and my ShopBot I can go from raw numbers, to drawings, to cutout parts in a matter of hours. I am now doing a very large custom model structure 'business'. I only do one off's as I still hate repetitive stuff and as such I charge a premium. I also do work for two of those local shops that I mentioned earlier, mostly pre-press setup stuff. So the 48x96 StdBot 3.5 hp spindle, Aspire, and Beckwith tapered ballnose bits is the short answer to your original post.

http://www.beckwithdecor.com/index_files/Cutters.htm

Russ

Ernie Balch
04-26-2013, 09:57 PM
1.25 inch Diameter 110 degree V-bit for sign business.
Also use 90, 130 and 150 degree V-bits used less often.

1/4 " downcut spiral often used for thin stock and 3D roughing pass.

1/8" tapered ball nose used for 3D final pass.

1/2" chip breaker endmill used for 3/4" MDO cutouts.

Shopbot PRS Alpha CNC

WoodMarvels.com
04-26-2013, 10:23 PM
I've made a video just the other day explaining the differences between different CNC machines - I'll post a link to it here after I'm done post-processing it and uploading the GBs to YouTube.com... ShopBot Desktop is in there along with a Trotec Speedy 300 and 3D Systems Cube.

Jon

WoodMarvels.com
05-08-2013, 10:33 AM
As promised here is the video showcasing the differences between the CNC machine types.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXTxCuYcR4Q

Jon

bleeth
05-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Looks like Marlen ducked.

WoodMarvels.com
05-09-2013, 04:27 AM
Looks like Marlen ducked.

Not quite sure why - the question was valid once things were better explained.

Jon