PDA

View Full Version : our local home and trade show.. my display

Ajcoholic
05-02-2013, 08:03 PM
For those who are looking for exposure for increasing your business - for the cost (vs other forms of advertising) it is hard to beat the local home & trade shows.

This weekend is the Timmins Construction Association show, and it is my 2nd year in this show. I am still fairly unknown here, and although I have been several months backed up with work since I started in my new shop 25 months ago, there are still a lot of people who are unaware a shop like mine exists here, and what I am capable of making in wood.

You get to show people hands on what really well crafted furniture is, and sell yourself and your product. I still get a lot of calls from last years show, where people took one of my cards. It is a long term investment. Well worth the preparation and costs involved. And, I think the return on your dollar spent is much better than a radio or newspaper ad.

Here is a shot of my booth (24' wide, 10 feet deep). I set up today, early. So I could drive my truck and trailer into the arena. All booths sold out so there will be lots of others around me tomorrow when it opens to the public.

Luckily for me, all the stuff I am showing this year has been made for a customer, or is one of my samples, or work I did in the past year I borrowed to display. The only thing I built expressly for this years display was the live edge cherry bench. So, it didn't cost me a lot in materials or time, since come Monday most of the stuff will be delivered to the customers.

A lot of what I am displaying had use of my Shopbot in its production :)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/ajcoholic/IMG_0978-1_zpsa82618b5.jpg (http://s83.photobucket.com/user/ajcoholic/media/IMG_0978-1_zpsa82618b5.jpg.html)

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/ajcoholic/IMG_0981-1_zps61edce6e.jpg (http://s83.photobucket.com/user/ajcoholic/media/IMG_0981-1_zps61edce6e.jpg.html)

Ajcoholic
05-02-2013, 08:22 PM
Keen eyes will see the VEctric free project from a month back- the bread box. I made one last week (for myself) in red alder, and brought it to the show to show off the capabilities of the router.

Its on the roll top desk...

AJC

myxpykalix
05-02-2013, 09:19 PM
Nice stuff, great work......now you just need to learn how to deal with the "Lookie-Loo's" that want to waste your time chit chatting....it's good to have someone else with you in the booth to catch real prospects from walking away. You need to set up a secret signal for your help to come and get you out of a no end conversation, like say a tug on your ear or rub your nose, so they can interrupt you to move on....:D

dlcw
05-02-2013, 09:39 PM
I agree with Jack on his comments. I've been doing the same show for 4 years now and the lookie lous can really take your time if you are not careful. This year I had to man the booth by myself for three days and I know I lost a few prospects due to tire kickers taking up my time with frivolous questions.

Your furniture is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Ajcoholic
05-02-2013, 09:49 PM
You guys forget I've been in business and attending trade shows for 18 years since I took over the business from my father. I know how to talk business, and move on from the ones who aren't interested. Last year I must have spoken to a few thousand people easily. I got lots of work from the show. I hope this year is as good!

The thing is I am there for 24 hours over three days. I will talk to as many people as I can to make potential contacts for work. I don't judge too harshly the " tire kickers" so to speak. You have to give everyone a chance you know. :)

Ajcoholic
05-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Ps I have two guys with me. Ill be able to take a pee break this year!

Simops
05-02-2013, 10:55 PM
My experience with Trade shows has not been all that good.....albeit it was not a woodworking show. I use my Bot making parts for my sim business and a few years ago took out a 20 x 10 foot booth at a large international Aviation air show with a large trade show attached (Avalon). Cost me (after a discount) $15,000 for the booth over 5 days. It was a grind. 80% tyre kickers and the rest genuine industry representation. At the end of it sold one unit which did not cover my show costs. All left a bad taste for some time to come.....maybe one day again:rolleyes:

Good luck with the show Andrew.....you have some good wares to show!!

Cheers

scottp55
05-03-2013, 03:44 AM
Andrew, I love the live edge, I especially love it when people run their hands over it while asking "How do you DO that?" good work. Scott

Ajcoholic
05-03-2013, 02:20 PM
My experience with Trade shows has not been all that good.....albeit it was not a woodworking show. I use my Bot making parts for my sim business and a few years ago took out a 20 x 10 foot booth at a large international Aviation air show with a large trade show attached (Avalon). Cost me (after a discount) $15,000 for the booth over 5 days. It was a grind. 80% tyre kickers and the rest genuine industry representation. At the end of it sold one unit which did not cover my show costs. All left a bad taste for some time to come.....maybe one day again:rolleyes:

Good luck with the show Andrew.....you have some good wares to show!!

Cheers

I guess I was referring more to the general "home targeted" shows. Every community around here has one, where various builders (construction companies and other trades, furnishings, decorator stuff, etc) show off their stuff.

For cost, my booth this year cost me $850 for the weekend. I lose a few days setting up and tearing down. But, for thew cost is is really very cheap advertising. That same $$ spent for instance on radio would get me about 20, 30 seconds ads. And, there is NO better way to show people what you can do than to get them to sit on one of your chairs, feel the drawers open and close, etc... see your finish up close, and just see what REAL wood looks like vs all the fake stuff on today's market is.

Some people say custom wood furniture is dying... I am on a mission in my life to change that! One pc at a time :) And there is money to be made, for sure.

Ajcoholic
05-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Andrew, I love the live edge, I especially love it when people run their hands over it while asking "How do you DO that?" good work. Scott

There are lots of cottages and rustic homes around here. I am hoping someone will buy that :)

myxpykalix
05-03-2013, 03:00 PM
For cost, my booth this year cost me $850 for the weekend. I lose a few days setting up and tearing down. But, for thew cost is is really very cheap advertising. That same $$ spent for instance on radio would get me about 20, 30 seconds ads. And, there is NO better way to show people what you can do than to get them to sit on one of your chairs, feel your drawers open and close, etc... see your finish up close, and just see what REAL wood looks like vs all the fake stuff on today's market is.

...that sounds like fun...

Simops
05-04-2013, 03:13 AM
I guess I was referring more to the general "home targeted" shows. Every community around here has one, where various builders (construction companies and other trades, furnishings, decorator stuff, etc) show off their stuff.

For cost, my booth this year cost me $850 for the weekend. I lose a few days setting up and tearing down. But, for thew cost is is really very cheap advertising. That same $$ spent for instance on radio would get me about 20, 30 seconds ads. And, there is NO better way to show people what you can do than to get them to sit on one of your chairs, feel the drawers open and close, etc... see your finish up close, and just see what REAL wood looks like vs all the fake stuff on today's market is.

Some people say custom wood furniture is dying... I am on a mission in my life to change that! One pc at a time :) And there is money to be made, for sure.

I agree.....I guess I was just saying out my experience....I guess when you have the likes of Lockheed Martin in the next booth the organisers know they can cash in and the price goes up into the stratosphere.....the small guys have to tag along.
In the woodworking world "Home targeted shows" are the way to go but here I know of none. There is a major woodworking show (expensive I'm sure) and Markets.
For me I find the Internet and a showroom the best way to do business these days here. A weekend show at $850 is good value and if available worth it.

Cheers

genek
05-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Andrew supper nice work. Where is your shop located, if your shop is in any state surrounding Kentucky let me know, will help you get Juried in the Ky Crafted Market Program. They have a section just for furniture. I prefer to do wholesales only.. However shows brings in wholesale accounts plus I make good money to pay for the show cost and still end up with a good profit. How I figure the shows I do: is this the Wholesale amount is what I normally make anyway's, Then when I sale at retail, I have made my wholesale amount x 2 the amount that is made above wholesale (retail price) pays for my booth and expensies. shows to me is a win win situation you get to spend some time away from the shop, you get to show off your products and company, you pick up new customers, and you make some money..

Ajcoholic
05-05-2013, 07:16 AM
Andrew supper nice work. Where is your shop located, if your shop is in any state surrounding Kentucky let me know, will help you get Juried in the Ky Crafted Market Program.

Hi Eugene, i am located in Canada, in the province of Ontario - up a fair ways in the North-Eastern part of the province. Unfortunately no where near Kentucky!

There are no exhibits/shows like you are describing, closer than in the Toronto area - which is about 500 or so miles south (Toronto is the largest city in Canada). Ive considered it somewhat but I dont really need to start looking away from home for work, when I am working several months behind generally. However, I do like to drum up new work so this local show once a year is a good idea I think.

The past two days have been great. I have (as I expected) gotten great feedback on the walnut table and chairs. Ive spoken to a lot of people in the past two days - today is #3 and its been fun. :)

genek
05-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Hi Eugene, i am located in Canada, in the province of Ontario - up a fair ways in the North-Eastern part of the province. Unfortunately no where near Kentucky!

There are no exhibits/shows like you are describing, closer than in the Toronto area - which is about 500 or so miles south (Toronto is the largest city in Canada). Ive considered it somewhat but I dont really need to start looking away from home for work, when I am working several months behind generally. However, I do like to drum up new work so this local show once a year is a good idea I think.

The past two days have been great. I have (as I expected) gotten great feedback on the walnut table and chairs. Ive spoken to a lot of people in the past two days - today is #3 and its been fun. :)
I am glad you are doing good. It is nice that you are having fun.. when one has fun doing work that means that he enjoys his work. Any show that you do means that you meet new customers, and potenital new customers. I have had people lose our cards, and will come looking for us at other shows hoping to find us, or have had them come back to the same show hoping we will be there. Shows are in my mind the eaiest and the fastest ways to get customers.
Most shows have a huge draw, more than one could possible call on in a few years. In one day you can see as many as 100 plus in your booth. if you called on that many it would take two or three months. The shows I do normally draw 10,000 to 100,000 people. I have gone back to our motel room with a sore throat from talking so much. We rounded our price and quit charging sales tax and just paid it on what we sold due to
high volume thru our booth to make it quicker. you can count out bills faster than all the change.
most of the time I have people backed out of our booth waiting to see our product, and to buy our product. Good salesmenship comes into play here.

scottp55
05-05-2013, 09:23 AM
Andrew,I had an interesting hitchhiking experience in Wawa many moons ago,Good people! I am glad I don't have deal with the OPP though. Finally got one ride,all the way to Victoria. scott

Ajcoholic
05-05-2013, 08:49 PM
well Im beat! But it was a great weekend - lots of people and if all goes well I will be busy making several more sets of my chairs in the near future :)

That ought to keep my 'Bot busy! :D

AJC

genek
05-05-2013, 09:01 PM
well im beat! But it was a great weekend - lots of people and if all goes well i will be busy making several more sets of my chairs in the near future :)

that ought to keep my 'bot busy! :d

ajc

Andrew I bet you are just about as tired mentally as you are physically. I know that after a show, I need to rest my brain for a few days... Glad that you got work. Hopefully you made enough contacts at this show to keep you in work for the rest of the year.. Take a break take a deep breath, and prepare to get work turned out.
Take care have a good week.

gundog
05-09-2013, 12:44 AM
Nice stuff Joe. I do a trade show once a year public and businesses attend we do very well it gets my stuff in front of many people who would otherwise never hear of me. I sometimes sell things to people several years later that saw me at the show. If the trade show is specific for the type stuff you sell you are hitting your target market.

Mike

Ajcoholic
05-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Well, I have an order for another set of the shaped walnut chairs and a walnut dining table - direct result of a couple I know, who saw the set at the show.

Also, I have several other jobs I went to see this week, that are all go-aheads after pricing - and again all directly from my display at the show.

So far, my $850 booth has brought in close to $10 K worth of business, in the first week after! Not bad..

AJC

genek
05-10-2013, 09:23 PM
well, i have an order for another set of the shaped walnut chairs and a walnut dining table - direct result of a couple i know, who saw the set at the show.

Also, i have several other jobs i went to see this week, that are all go-aheads after pricing - and again all directly from my display at the show.

So far, my $850 booth has brought in close to $10 k worth of business, in the first week after! Not bad..

Ajc
you have to spend money to make money.
The right show at the right time of year.
Will bring in the money ...
Keep up the good work.. Check out more shows.

David Iannone
05-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Great job Andrew. Really enjoy reading your posts and looking at the pics of your work. I am a sign guy who has always wanted to learn the woodworking trade. Shopbot is by far the best machine to have with the best support.