PDA

View Full Version : Mr Fredricksen (UP) Body

JDaVinci
05-06-2013, 11:45 AM
I posted the head (mask) we made a while ago. Faced with a difficulty on how to store the head, as it is quite large, we decided to build a "stand" or base for it. We don't usually make things simple. As to keep with our standard, I completely overcomplicated it and made the "stand" look like Mr Fredricksen's body.

Cut the major parts on the shopbot, and hand carved the arms. We were under a time crunch as we decided to use this at a benefit event and so we wanted to just get it done, so there are a few things I would have done differently, but overall, pretty happy with the result.

*This was just a personal art project and is not for sale. I cannot share the file and I cannot produce more.

chiloquinruss
05-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Can I come to work for you, I think youse' guys' is havin' too much fun! :D Pretty cool. Is the surface that you applied to the foam epoxy? Russ

myxpykalix
05-06-2013, 05:42 PM
I guess there is no "do it the easy way" with you? That's neat! I would have built a box and been done with it.....I can appreciate your creativity, good job!:D

gene
05-06-2013, 10:20 PM
it shows when you love what you do for a living! come on Russ , you play with trains all day! LOL

JDaVinci
05-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Haha. Thanks for the comments. The coating is a polyurethane (2-part) spray. It uses a proprietary gun to spray it, so it's not really something the average user can mix and spray.

englert
05-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Sure is a lot of talent there. Just awesome!

Dennis

Doug Haffner
05-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Nice work, JD.
I think it's a perfect stand for the head, but it seems like it would look so much nicer on the porch of the house...attached to the full size house...attached to balloons. Rock on.

Brian Harnett
05-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Thats really cool,the creative jobs are the best.

rookie432
06-10-2013, 01:11 AM
JD,
This is fantastic. I have been wanting to do full scale fun models like this for a long time. I even bought a 3d laser scanner several years ago to get base 3d models into my system. I have a gap in knowledge on software though. I have scoured the web trying to find training for 3d modeling software but none seem to fit my need. (everyone wants to teach you how to make gaming characters). Would you mind if I picked your brain for a couple of questions?
For example...
What modeling software are you using?
and primarily...How do you break the model apart for milling? specifically the arms! I can scan a miniature model but I don't know how to remove the arms in the software for milling.

Thanks