PDA

View Full Version : Hot Y motor producing stepped cuts????

frogwood
05-14-2013, 05:55 PM
From time to time my Y axis seems to loose it's place a little and give me steps as it does it various passes to get to full depth. It seems like this happens the same time that my motor begins to run hot. It might get up to 140 degrees. It seems like by disconnecting the Y cable-wago at the control box and putting it back on the problem would correct. I just recently put a new wago on the cable thinking this might be the problem but the problem occured again 2 days ago. I noticed this time that the driver on the circuit board in the control box was also running hot. About 140 degrees which is at least 30 degrees hotter than the other two. I pushed on the driver towards the circuit board in case it was loose. I was not certain I really did anything with my push but the driver and the Y motor cooled down and cut fine. Seems like something is loose. Anyone had this type of problem. I would like to correct because parts get messed up.

Brady Watson
05-14-2013, 07:29 PM
It might not be a bad idea to pull that driver and re-seat it. Some times the screw terminals can work themselves loose or just aren't fully seated on the pins. I would pay particular attention to the last 2 pins that refer to 'current set resistors' which are traced out on the board to actual resistors. When connected, they limit the amount of current from the driver's max of 7 amps down to either 1.5 or 2 amps, depending on what motor you have. If either of these 2 pins gets worked loose, full current is sent to the motor (which is only rated for 1.5 or 2A) and the rest of that current has to go somewhere...which in this case equates to heat through both the motor and driver. I think if you take an hour to clean, R&R the drivers and make sure everything is seated properly, you should be fine.

-B

frogwood
05-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Thanks Brady for responding to my question. I will give that a try. The problem comes and goes but when it comes it is a pain. Parts on the table when it happens are no good most of the tome.

Allen