PDA

View Full Version : Router Mounting Improvements

waynec
10-24-2004, 11:01 AM
I just got the PC 3hp router mounted to my PR, and have been tweaking the axis to get it plumb and square. Its a frustrating process in large part because there is no adjustment mechansim that will allow and hold fine adjustments.

Seems to me that a person could develop a mount with threaded rod for each axis (x and y) and put some locking nuts to hold them in place. that would allow you to tweak and then lock your adjustments.

Has anyone done something like this for the PR?

I tried it with a Hitachi router, and the idea worked, but my execution left much to be desired. Then the dern Hitachi died, and I decided to go to the PC router.

Anyone have an upgrde plan for an adjustible router mount for the PR?

Thanks!

ron brown
10-24-2004, 09:34 PM
Wayne,

On a previous ShopBot based machine I put the Z carriage on four threaded rods. It was fairly simple to "tram the 'Z' in". I was fortunate I did not need to plumb the "Z" to the table but planned on using shims is necessary if I did.

The nice thing about setting things up with dial-indicators and machine tools is the necessary changes can be calculated, implimented and, usually, they come out correct. Or, at least correct enough for the work I have done.

At one time pictures of my Z axis modifications were posted.

Ron

bruce
11-18-2004, 03:31 PM
I know the last posting here was quite some time ago, but since I've just been mucking around with the same thing on my PR, I thought I'd add my two bits.

I disposed of the aluminum router bracket on the z-axis altogether and attached the router directly to the two bearing rods of the z-axis using c-clamps and gear clamps. Pretty high tech, heh?

I felt that there was no point in adjusting the router bracket, partly because it's such a pain, but also because it seemed to me that the bracket was just one more place where squaring errors could creep in. Once the z-axis bearing rods are absolutely square to the trammel, they are your best reference point for getting the router square, so why mess around with an "adjustable" bracket between the rods and the router?

The other thing I realized is that if the z-axis bearing rods are out of square to the trammel, no amount of adjustment at the router will correct the problem: you can get the router square to the table at a singe depth (assuming you use the router to plane the entire bed flat), but as soon as the bit changes depth, you're out of square again.

Bruce

john_r
12-03-2004, 05:38 AM
I came up with a pretty cool idea for this. I think this may be the same as Ron Brown's idea. I mounted the Z carriage on 4 pieces of 1/2" all thread. (This raises the Z axis 2 inches)
Basically it's a combination of double nuts and washers on either side of the mounting points. By adjusting any point you can level or change skew of the router position. You can make fine adjustments using Home Depot hardware. I will post pics later today or tomorrow.

John

john_r
12-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Better late then never, missplaced the camera.

john_r
12-08-2004, 06:24 PM

Brady Watson
12-08-2004, 07:15 PM
John,

Did you check out Gerald's quick release mount (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/2/4095.html) for his router? It's pretty slick.

-Brady

john_r
12-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Yes Brady,
I really like that Idea. very cool indeed kind of like a cheap tool changer. You could have 3 or 4 PC's set up with bits and all. As far as my cheap set up. I have access to a machine shop just not wanting to put the money and time into it right now. For all intents and purposes I'm using the PR96 for the learning curve, after I prove myself (the SB has already done so) the plan is to upgrade to the Alpha with a spindle.

-John