PDA

View Full Version : Crack Kitchen Cabinet

john_bac
07-28-2007, 02:15 AM
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure if this is the correct area for my question. So let me apologize in advance if I posted in the wrong area.

I started a kitchen cabinet business in Los Angeles. The kitchen cabinet that I'm selling is made in China. The box fame is made of 1/2" plywood, the face frame is 1/2" solid, and the 3/4" door solid. No particle board or MDF.

It is a tough market so I was thinking of going to do business in Las Vegas, Arizona, and New Mexico instead.

Here is the problem, I was told that if I bring the cabinet into those states, that the cabinet will crack due to the dry heat and low humidity.

I have not heard of this problem and I have asked around and no one seem to been aware of this problem.

So if anyone know of this problem, please provide any information. Thanks you in advance.

thewoodcrafter
07-28-2007, 02:59 AM
I have a cabinet shop in Hesperia, similar climate to where you are talking about.

I buy materials from inland empire suppliers. Similar to your climate. Lumber will and does shrink across the grain. Plywood will not shrink. I have found that it takes 2 - 3 weeks for the wood to acclimate whether it has a finish on it or not. Some raised panel doors do split, some just shrink and show a line. It has not been a big problem. Some wood is worse than others.

john_bac
07-29-2007, 01:09 AM
Hi Roger,

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way to avoid the split? The cabinet that I'm selling is already stain and with light coat of lacquer. The wood species is maple, oak, cherry and beech.

thewoodcrafter
07-29-2007, 01:21 AM
There is no way to prevent this.
Just hope the cracks are minimal and plan on replacing some doors.

ckurak
08-05-2007, 04:00 PM
John,

The change in moisture content of the wood will expand and contract the wood, mainly across the grain. There will be some shrinkage lengthwise, but very little.

Roger is correct. Whether or not the wood has a finish on it, the moisture content of the wood will still change. The lacquer finish may slow the process down, but not prevent it.

john_bac
08-08-2007, 01:29 AM
Hi Charles,

Thanks for the reply.