PDA

View Full Version : One rail sweep in Aspire?

Robert Rickard
05-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Imagine a river descending into a lake, but the lake is cut completely through the material. Both the river sides and the shoreline of the lake are tapered and jagged.

I can use a two rail sweep to cut the river, but am at a loss as to how to cut the shoreline using a profile that blends with the river inlet (and outlet for that matter). I could do a two rail sweep where one side will be just cutting air, but I'm sure there must be a better way.

It's probably obvious, but I'm new to 3D modeling. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

CNYDWW
05-29-2013, 06:54 AM
I don't know what software you're using but usually something like this you could create a separate entity or solid and trim it out of the other. If it's Aspire, i'm not up on it but i believe you can only do that with vectors? Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Regards
Randy

Joe Porter
05-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Robert, you can trim your 3d model with a vector and the tool will only cut to that vector. Have you checked on the Vectric Forum? Someone there will be able to help you....joe

khaos
06-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Ok so here is what i did. I made an oval and two beziers. I single rail swept some a simple component I made by sculpting a squiggle to make 'bushes' along the beziers. Then I made the entire oval and beziers a single shape to make the water. Made a component out of that and and then baked it all to sculpt some ripples and smooth the edges.

The project file is here (http://www.joesboats.com/sb/stream.zip)

Robert Rickard
06-04-2013, 10:58 AM
It didn't even occur to me to look for a Vetric forum. I've just thought of Aspire as a ShopBot accessory!

I ended up doing what Joe Porter suggested and using two rail sweeps and then trimming them on one side so the ShopBot wouldn't spend time cutting air where I had already used an endmill to cut out the "lake."

Attached is a 3D view from Aspire.