View Full Version : Cutting Paper

donek
06-01-2013, 10:37 PM
I would imagine most of us don't dream about cutting paper with their bot, but having that ability sure did save a lot of time and make the job cleaner.

I've been cutting and weeding 40 stickers a day for the last month. When I started looking at cutting them apart with the manual paper cutter, I really didn't want to. I decided to try it with the drag knife.

Check out the video:

http://youtu.be/XkdeofKdjG4

curtiss
06-02-2013, 08:46 AM
Well done video

So cool to watch... I assume a vac hold down used... How thick a material can you cut ?

What material do you have below the paper as to not damage the knife ?

gene
06-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Is the razor blade holder spring loaded so if the table has a small dip it will allow for that?

donek
06-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Well done video

So cool to watch... I assume a vac hold down used... How thick a material can you cut ?

What material do you have below the paper as to not damage the knife ?

Normally we cut over MDF, but in this case it was a scrap piece of MDF. Our Vac Table has 3/8in holes on 1in centers. Paper would get sucked down into those 3/8in holes. I drilled 1/8in holes in the ABS plastic to prevent that problem. I think something like masonite would work just as well.

Is the razor blade holder spring loaded so if the table has a small dip it will allow for that?

There is no need for that if you plane or skim the surface of your table with a fly cutter. That procedure will true the table surface to your machine such that cutter proximity over the entire surface is extremely accurate.

Bob Eustace
06-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Brilliant video! Have a look at this one to see a more complicated design.

http://youtu.be/fOf_tCefl6Q

ccamember
06-06-2013, 04:11 PM
That is cool, thanks for posting the video. Can you cut an image with the drag knife, wondering about doing scrimshaw with it.

donek
06-06-2013, 06:36 PM
That is cool, thanks for posting the video. Can you cut an image with the drag knife, wondering about doing scrimshaw with it.

There are so many applications for this thing I've never even considered, it's tough to say. If the CNC can execute the tool path, you should be able to make it work.

bleeth
06-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Scrimshaw? You mean carving natural bone with shallow cuts and rubbing in ink?
Great handwork is great handwork. CNC is one tool to do many, but not all things.