View Full Version : Where to locate machine

wberminio
06-19-2007, 07:04 AM
I'm receiving my new machine tomorrow.
I need to know where is the best place to locate it.
Is in a corner OK? Can it be close to a wall?
How Much clearance do I need?
Thanks for your help!

richards
06-19-2007, 08:27 AM
If you possibly can, you'll want your machine to be at least three feet away from any wall. I have my 60x120 Alpha just two feet away from one wall, and that makes it hard to work. There are times when it would be so much easier if I could load and unload from any side. Even routine maintenance would be easier if I had more room.

wberminio
06-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Thanks
My space is limited.I may need to get it close to the back wall.

harryball
06-19-2007, 09:54 AM
Well... you could locate it in my shop, I'll take good care of it ;-)

Otherwise, you need enough room to move around the machine on all sides. While 36" would be great I have about 48" at the head where my PC station goes and 20" down one side which is enough for me to get back there and clean/work/pickup parts etc... The otherside is open to the floor and there is a bandsaw about 30" from it on one corner and a table more than 36" away about mid bot.

Now the end away from the PC is the trick. It is open to the floor and a straight shot to my sheet storage rack which is about 9 feet away. I can take sheets straight off the rack and onto the bot. There is enough space to bring sheets in and store them and to flip them around if needed. I keep that space open or I sit my mobile parts carts there which are easy to move aside.

Congrats on the bot and good luck!

Robert

wberminio
06-19-2007, 12:21 PM
At least let my get it first,if I don't like it you can have it.(Let me know where to send the lease payments)
Looks like my set up will be similar to yours.
I would hate to set it up and then realize that
I need to move it a bit because I forgot allow for something.I appreciate your suggestions.

fleinbach
06-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Erminio,

Idealy having room to walk around your machine would be desired but is not apsolutly nessacary. I have been shopboting for almost 4 years now and my Bot is against a wall. Realy I have no problems with it against a wall. I suppose it would be nice if I could reach from all sides but I never realy think about it anymore.

wberminio
06-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Thank you all for your input.
Looking forward to getting setup.I expect to have a "few" more questions in the future!

Erminio