PDA

View Full Version : Escrow for SB payment?

GeneMpls
06-08-2013, 01:13 PM
I am buying a SB from a fellow in a far off state. Can anybody recommend
an escrow acct or give advise on how to safely (for both of us) handle
the transaction. Thanks Gene

Brady Watson
06-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Cashier's check & bring a friend with you. People are people - I'm sure you'll do just fine.

-B

myxpykalix
06-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Who is it? Maybe some of us know who it is and can give references? Most Bot owners and decent honest people but if it is from an acquired source it might be someone just selling equipment.:)

gerryv
06-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Not sure how it works there but VISA (or equivalent plastic) transactions can be reversed under certain conditions. PayPal also claims to do something similar but my impression when I used to use them was that they seemed to be biased towards the sellers - likely because they make their money off them, not the buyer. A few years back I was buying a major piece of equipment out of Long Island and had the same concerns. The way it was handled was it was picked up by a local, reputable dealer, in this case the Martin dealer and released to me once the money transfer was confirmed in the sellers account. There was a cost involved but the dealer also provided loading service to get it into my rental truck. I may be a little bit paranoid but I also always do a Google search on the seller's name in brackets as well as a Google Maps street view to get a sense of the "neighbourhood." In one case I discovered that there was no such street number by zooming in and it was a "very" sleazy looking area. The name search also suggested the fellow's business name had changed too often. Some thoughts anyway.

myxpykalix
06-08-2013, 06:21 PM
oh i didn't realize you weren't personally handling the deal. The problem you will have is that the pick up agent doesn't know what to look for when inspecting it to see if they aren't sending you a pile of junk.

You might want to give more details about who and where it is. Maybe you can hire a shopbotter closeby to go and inspect it for you. You might want to invest in a plane ticket and go yourself.

Do like Gerry suggests about a little due diligence and checking him out and where he lives because you don't want to find yourself in the "hood" with a pocket full of cash!

I've seen Craigslist ads like this for car sales that turned bad.:eek: