View Full Version : Hdpe

richdav8500
06-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Can anyone give my any tips and things to watch out when cutting HDPE? Also does HDPE warp after cutting?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

twelchPTM
06-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Can anyone give my any tips and things to watch out when cutting HDPE? Also does HDPE warp after cutting?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

I do alot of HDPE and have never had anything warp. As far as tips and thing to watch for, the stuff cuts like butter but don't get cocky because it is a real pain in the (explitive) to try and sand and polish out a rough edge. I use plastic cutting endmills from harvey tools, the o-flute is great and depending on what your actually doing so do the standard 2-flute mills.

knight_toolworks
06-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Plus it does not stay put. once you cut through you can't rely on vacuum to keep it in place. so a onion skin or tabs help. I also nail down the corners of the sheet to make sure.

twelchPTM
06-19-2013, 01:33 PM
good point Steve, I always use an onion skin for the sake of my spoilboard but I have cut some pieces thru and only the really small ones jump out on me.

knight_toolworks
06-19-2013, 03:56 PM
good point Steve, I always use an onion skin for the sake of my spoilboard but I have cut some pieces thru and only the really small ones jump out on me.
I have had bigger peices move too. you never know really so it's better to be safe. It may be the bit though I have started using a 0-[flute and it does not lift the material as much as a 2f bit does.

richdav8500
06-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the advice.

twelchPTM
06-20-2013, 06:37 PM
I also have a stupid huge vaccuum pump we purchased along with out Bot. Pulls 10 to 13 Hg across the full sheet....