PDA

View Full Version : Okay, mostly wired up!

johnm
11-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Folks -

Welll... Getting closer! Got most everything wired up, still a couple of small things. I need to wire the VFD at the VFD, install the prox switch targets and check everything over.

A couple of questions - specifically, how do you wire in a second emergency stop switch? I have the first one all set up, but we have a second one as well. I am probably going to set up the first with a "crash bar" of some sort, and have the second one by the SB computer.

Also, how is a 3D probe wired in? The instructions say that you're supposed to just plug it into the wago pigtail for the Z Zero plate, but the connectors are the same gender. Hold your jokes, but it just won't go...

For those of you with a spindle, how did you set up the VFD control box/panel? I'd be interested in links or pics.

Tomorrow I'm going to get the fused disconnect and finish the wiring, then have an electrician come check everything over before we begin sea trials...

Another point of inquiry.... My understanding is that the prt's had 5 drive channels so that if you had one channel crash, you would have an additional channel of redundancy. The Alphas only have 4, so no "spare"? Is this correct?

Can't wait to get going!

John Moorhead

richards
11-21-2005, 01:48 AM
When wiring switches, if the original switch is normally open, wire the second switch in parallel with the first. Doing that will make (close) the circuit when any switch is activated. If the original switch is normally closed, wire the second switch in series with the first. Doing that will break (open) the circuit when any switch is activated.

Could you clarify your question where you asked, "how did you set up the VFD control box/panel"? The simple answer is that I mounted my VFD control box on the wall at eye level where it is easily accessible to allow quick speed changes. The Alpha's control box remains mounted to the Shopbot supplied steel frame and oriented so that the Reset and Start switches are easily accessible.

The Alpha's stepper drivers are independent of the control board. Replacement of a faulty stepper driver is simply a matter of turning off the power and then replacing the stepper driver.