PDA

View Full Version : Huge Slate & Black Walnut Table

CNYDWW
06-24-2013, 09:22 AM
This huge 24ft x 4ft x 42" tall table was made of three 8ft long sections. The center slate is 1" thick black slate mitered each end to get the 2" thickness. I had marked out and measured by hand at every inch the live edge slabs and we had a stone supplier CNC cut the stone to match. The whole theme was to create the illusion of the stone forming between two trees. I wish i could have been there when it came together but I left the company(although i still consult and freelance for them) before it came into the shop.

Regards
Randy

Brian Harnett
06-24-2013, 10:41 AM
That looks quite impressive. Cost must have been too.

CNYDWW
06-24-2013, 01:52 PM
That looks quite impressive. Cost must have been too.

Working for that company, sticker shock went out the window quick. Now imagine a cali king bed made almost entirely of 2" thick optically clear cast acrylic at $2500 a sheet. Ordered 5 sheets for it.

kevin
06-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Wow it looks amazing

What kind of finish?

You can't see the lines where the end are joined

I made a conference table for a lawyer office in Montreal 12 ft long he said it could fit .But it didn't fit it was to big for stair case
I had to cut it in half I was never happy with the line

Bob Eustace
06-24-2013, 06:48 PM
Magnificent work Randy!

Ajcoholic
06-24-2013, 08:52 PM
That is a great looking table. Love it!

AJC

genek
06-24-2013, 08:59 PM
WOW.. very nice...very good workmanship...

CNYDWW
06-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Wow it looks amazing

What kind of finish?

You can't see the lines where the end are joined

I made a conference table for a lawyer office in Montreal 12 ft long he said it could fit .But it didn't fit it was to big for stair case
I had to cut it in half I was never happy with the line

They use a conversion varnish on the wood.

CNYDWW
06-25-2013, 11:48 AM
The joint itself is vissable but to get length the live edge veneer is book matched end for end and grain is lined up. They do a lot of hand work getting everything to look perfect.

I wish i had gotten my hands dirty on the project but that was one of the vary reasons i had decided to move on from the place. I never got a chance to work on projects. Just design work stuck in the office.

Regards
Randy

phardy79
11-20-2013, 11:20 PM
That is flipping AWESOME. Great use of multiple materials. WOW! Thanks for sharing.