PDA

View Full Version : Profile(project toolpath onto 3d model)?

marcrunner
07-02-2013, 04:30 AM

Trying to add a shallow profile cut to the perimeter of these shapes

marcrunner
07-02-2013, 04:35 AM
I have an imported 3d stl file that I have brought into aspire, but would like to add a small ball nose perimeter relief the the outside edge of the ring. Having trouble toolpathing this. Is it possible for the software to produce a profile cut file with varying z depths like this without redoing the model? Thanks, Marc

adrianm
07-02-2013, 07:09 AM
Did you try checking the "Project toolpath onto 3D model" in the profile toolpath?

That should work but I'm not at my Aspire PC to try it at the moment.

marcrunner
07-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Have tried that, but am going to work on it a bit more. I guess my question is,
will the software calculate the z depths around the outter perimeter based upon the 3d drawing that precedes it?

Brady Watson
07-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Have tried that, but am going to work on it a bit more. I guess my question is,
will the software calculate the z depths around the outter perimeter based upon the 3d drawing that precedes it?

Only if there is 3D geometry below the area where the vector resides. Otherwise it will project the vector onto the zero plane. Sometimes you have to make the underlying model larger in order to project the toolpath.

Looking at your part if you drew a circle dead center on the shape you have there, say 1/8" inward offset from the outside profile, then this should be fine. If you went right on the outer perimeter, there may not be enough underlying geometry to hold the edge cleanly. Of course, you may want to consider doing a machine 'ON'/centerline cut opposed to an inside or outside profile - depending on what you want to achieve.

Make sense?

-B

marcrunner
07-02-2013, 02:21 PM
It most certainly does. I think the first time I tried it, the profile pass was "Falling off" the edge of the 3d geometry. Thanks, I will work on it_Marc