PDA

View Full Version : BIG Airplane

JDaVinci
07-06-2013, 03:28 PM
One of our biggest single pieces we've cut on our Shopbot. A 24' airplane.
We've been working on this project for a couple of months. Other pieces cut on the shopbot include many components on the Tiki Surf Shop, and the talking Tiki head.

Also all signage of course.
Here is a video of our work at Tiki Town in San Diego California:
You Tube Video - TIKI TOWN (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbHVSWASDt8)

The video shows much of our work on this project. To answer the question before it gets asked... The airplane took about 10 full days of cutting on the ShopBot in many pieces.

myxpykalix
07-06-2013, 04:24 PM
The first thing i want to say is...."Aloha, and well done..you just made a hole in one":D

That is professional workmanship "par excellance"!:eek:

gene
07-06-2013, 08:21 PM
If i ever get rich i want to come apprentice under you . Great Job ! how long did that job take and did you do the video ? I like the dragons tongue at the end of the video.

chiloquinruss
07-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Now that's what I call a great model! :D WOW, what a great piece. Question did you also do the rock work for the walls? Again great job, thanks for posting. Russ

genek
07-06-2013, 09:38 PM
We've been working on this project for a couple of months. Other pieces cut on the shopbot include many components on the Tiki Surf Shop, and the talking Tiki head.

The video shows much of our work on this project. To answer the question before it gets asked... The airplane took about 10 full days of cutting on the ShopBot in many pieces.
supper great. would you explain how you price your work.

wish I could do that kind of work, no demand for that in my area.. so I do not get to do it.

thanks for sharing great work.

gc3
07-06-2013, 10:09 PM
..."wish I could do that kind of work, no demand for that in my area.. so I do not get to do it"...

Eugene...if you build it they will come.

Create the market for that kind of product in your area, you may be surprised what may happen

gc3
07-06-2013, 10:17 PM

hot to death! nice work, thanks for posting...keep pushing the bar...

JDaVinci
07-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the comments!
To answer questions:

Gene: We had about 2 months to design/build/install. And used every minute of it. Yes I made the video too.

Russ: Yes, We sculpted the stone on the walls from concrete.

Eugene: The question on pricing goes from learning how much I loose on each project...it just takes time and mistakes to learn what that curve is. I know what we do well and what we don't. My more successful projects the client comes to me with a budget and says, what can you do for "x" and I design something that I know we can make within the timeline and budget. It doesn't always work. But when it does, it works quite well.

Gene: you are right, if you build it they will come. I started doing this sort of work over 8 years ago, and there wasn't much of a market for it in my area either. It takes a lot of energy to create a market where one doesn't exist. But it can be done. People just need to see a need, even if they didn't realize they needed it. -on that note though, this project took me out of state... I can't say there was a demand in my area at the time of this project for this type of work. We had an opening when the client approached us and it worked out well.

Thanks again!
-JD

Simops
07-07-2013, 05:38 AM
That aircraft is absolutely awesome! I can just imagine the time and effort in front of the CAD/CAM designing this.....well done!

Cheers

Ajcoholic
07-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Wow. That is crazy impressive stuff!! Very nice!

gene
07-07-2013, 06:03 PM
JD
I think that was why apple was so successful , Steve Jobs created things that people didnt know that they needed until they saw it. then they had to have it.

Brian Harnett
07-08-2013, 09:08 AM
What a great and creative project, awesome job!

Brady Watson
07-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Eugene: The question on pricing goes from learning how much I lose on each project...it just takes time and mistakes to learn...

Yep...school of hard knocks!

JD - Outstanding work as usual! Thanks for taking the time to share it.

-B

andyb
07-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Anybody think the lizard tongue is too shape??? LOL I love that part.

GREAT JOB. Totally impressive work.

Andy B.

crash5050
07-09-2013, 12:07 PM
I was in Panama City a while back and saw a replica of Jimmy Buffet's Grumman HU-16 Albatross flying boat "The Hemisphere Dancer"

A scale model of that would be awesome

Fins Up!

JDaVinci
07-10-2013, 02:51 PM
I was in Panama City a while back and saw a replica of Jimmy Buffet's Grumman HU-16 Albatross flying boat "The Hemisphere Dancer"

A scale model of that would be awesome

Fins Up!

David,
The Albatross was the first airplane I had suggested in my design. I can't remember why we changed directions later to the DC3. But I had found some source imagery of a crashed Albatross and especially liked it. Thinking back, it might have been the time/budget constraints kept us from doing the more complicated amphibious "boat hull" over the round body low wing design.