PDA

View Full Version : Multiple passes on single vector line?

marcrunner
07-19-2013, 01:49 AM
Good evening,

I am currently cutting a single line vector to .5" of an inch using the profile toolpath(on center) and making 5 passes. Unfortunately with every pass, the cutter goes back to the start point for the next pass on the same line. This is very slow going. Is there a way I can make this process faster. I would like to make one pass start to finish, then move directly backwards into the next(deeper) cut. Any ideas?

adrianm
07-19-2013, 04:14 AM
You would have to create five separate toolpaths each one starting at the depth of the previous one. You would need another vector with the start node at the other end and base the alternate toolpaths off that.

It shouldn't be that slow doing it the way you are as the machine should be performing a rapid (jog) move when it goes back to the start. Try increasing your jog speed.

benchmark
07-19-2013, 05:14 AM
Marc,

You could set the ramping length to the length of your vector, this will do it in three passes without returning to the start each time, depending on the size of your cutter three passes to cut 0.5" should be fine.

marcrunner
07-19-2013, 12:19 PM
Adrian,
Yes not a huge deal, to jog back, just seems inefficient. There would also be a "move to home" jog that would take place each separated z pass, which I know can be post processed out.

Paul,
Wasn't sure if a super long ramp like that was frowned upon. Have you done this? I am not familiar with the strategy. I guess I would just set ramp length to just past the last depth length if that makes any sense!

benchmark
07-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Marc,

I use it every time I machine on vector, I'm not sure what you mean, but I just measure the length of the vector, then use that dimension for the length of then ramp.

marcrunner
07-22-2013, 02:47 AM
Ok great, thank you much-Marc