PDA

View Full Version : 3D Z plunge?

angelosart
07-24-2013, 03:22 PM
I think I finally figured out my feeds and speeds that work well on my Buddy for 3D finishing.

So my question is while 3D finishing, the cutter rises to a safe z level after every cut along the x axis before moving along the y axis. With an 8-10% step over this seems to add quite a bit of time. With as little as you are taking off with 3D finishing, can you set the tool path without this action or is it unsafe or harder on the bit? And if you can how do you eliminate this rise and plunge after each line? (Not sure if I'm making myself clear)

bob_dodd
07-24-2013, 03:48 PM
You need to add a vector bounding box just a few thousands of a inch smaller than your machining area , select this and machine inside this , it will fix this

cowboy1296
07-25-2013, 10:05 AM
What is your safe Z set at.

khaos
07-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Your safe z should raise the bit above the highest possible material point. When doing 3d I set for 0.2 A point to note is I measure z from the top of the material. At the end of the file I raise the bit all the way. (I have a proxy on the Z)

You could do less than .2 but I don't know that you would net any benefit.

angelosart
07-25-2013, 12:23 PM
Hi Joe
My Z clearance is at .2. It just seems like a lot of wasted time for the bit to travel to clearance after every single x line pass in 3D finish. Its not cutting anything. I'm going to give bob's idea a try today.

Brady Watson
07-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Post a pic of your part toolpathed. PrintScreen to copy & Edit-Paste into MSPaint etc. Then save as JPEG and post.

-B

angelosart
07-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Bob's suggestion did not work... I created vector around component, reduced by .005 and used that as toolpath selection. No luck UGGH!

Brady, see attachments for images

Brady Watson
07-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Aside from *maybe* the border around 'ARI Boston', I am not seeing any 3D...so you should not be using a 3D strategy - unless those letters are prismatic (and there is a 2.5D strategy for that).

The toolpath pic is not helpful. Next time post what you see from an isometric view (kicked on an angle so you can see all 3 axes). What I see from your simulation are a few 2D pockets, some v-carving and a few other areas that can be achieved with a 2D profile toolpath.

Now, don't feel bad. This is all part of the learning curve & realizing that '3D' can mean a number of things. Within the context of CNC Routing, that usually means a 3D relief, like the head on a coin or a wood carving with grapes, leaves and vines that protrude from the background. What you show is what many would call 2.5D, where 2D toolpath strategies are used with vectors and your depths are created by the depth you tell that toolpath strategy to go.

Does this make sense?

-B

angelosart
07-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Brady
It does make sense thanks. As things go...I tried the vector boundary again and it worked with air cutting. I tried 3 other 3D clip art files with air cutting and it worked. What bugs me is I'm not sure why, I think I might have had another vectr selected that was close to the vector boundary??

Yeah, my wife is always trying to tell me to "appreciate" the learning curve. :eek::eek:

Thanks for help again. Forum has been awesome.