PDA

View Full Version : Intarsia patterns,

genek
07-30-2013, 10:02 AM
I had a friend to come by this week. He does intarsia with his scroll saw. He had a customer order more than he could cut in a month. He brought his patterns over I scanned them in and cut all of his parts for 30 projects in less than a day. these patterns are easy to import into aspire and art cam. some of you may want to try some of them. easy beginners projects. You can go to www.intarsia.com and see some of the patterns.

donek
07-31-2013, 12:23 AM
Looking at how this is done, it seems there is a lot of sanding. So, did you just cut the shapes and leave the sanding to him? Or did you run a round over bit on all the parts too?

myxpykalix
07-31-2013, 03:28 AM
I didn't want to go thru the whole registration process just to get a couple free files, so let me ask you Eugene....since i couldn't see them i suppose it might be a dxf of the parts and since you would need to seperate the parts and decide what parts you would cut out of the different wood correct?:confused:

upsman
07-31-2013, 07:56 AM
If anyone is Looking for free scroll saw patterns

http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/

Link to free patterns is on the left. 100's

genek
07-31-2013, 08:44 AM
I just cut the shapes out in the correct direction with the wood. My friend will do the rest, I also cut the back sections out for him. he uses a sanding wheel to do the contouring with.
I scanned them in and then imported them into aspire. Just like we do with clip art.

genek
07-31-2013, 08:50 AM
there is sanding on all parts. this gives the 3d look... you can do contouring on the shop bot. he chose to do the contouring. some of the parts are to small to use a round over bit. you could do the contours with the shop bot like we do 3d patterns, Jack my friend had the individual parts cut out ready for me to scan, so it was easy to import, I could have imported the whole pattern and cut it with aspires scissors or in corel draw and just broke the file down. the patterns come as paper files... so you have to scan them in.

genek
07-31-2013, 08:58 AM
Go to the site they have instructions on the pattens just click on them and ready.. not as hard as it seems.. yes it takes time but the price he is getting is well above what i would have expected.

JoeinWestMich
07-31-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the information. I have done a few intarsia designs in the past with a scroll saw, disc and belt sanders and Dremel sander accessories. I can see where the ShopBot could be used to cut out patterns but could prove a bit difficult with some of the very small designs. My intarsia work was years ago, and this is a nice push to consider doing a few again. I did them when my Mom was doing arts and crafts fairs, and she hardly ever brought any back home with her so they were very popular back then. One thing I really liked about intarsia was that it forced me to "slow down." It takes time and patience to smooth the curves on all those edges and learn how to get varying effects with the different radii blending into one another. It was almost like meditation for me.... earphones, nice music, carefully sanding and sanding and sanding. And for ShopBotters.... it would make very good use of the different species of woods you have left over in small pieces from other projects. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention. Hopefully someone will post a ShopBot intarsia project in the near future. Now to go and dust off the scroll saw :)

genek
08-02-2013, 01:49 PM
You can do small Pieces with the shop bot if you leave a little more than onion skin then sand out the parts.. I am working on doing one that will be contoured with the shop bot just to see how it works out.