PDA

View Full Version : apple computer

rawhide
07-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Has anyone used a Apple laptop to run a Shopbot desktop unit?

bill.young
07-31-2013, 03:53 PM
I run my Desktop with a MacBook (one of the older style white ones) using Boot Camp and Window 7 Home. Not sure if that really qualifies as running it with a Apple computer since the tool is actually running in Windows, but it works well.

Bill

rawhide
07-31-2013, 03:57 PM
thank you bill,are there any issues with boot camp?i would like to get a mac book air.

rawhide
07-31-2013, 04:13 PM
bill,can you tell how old mac book is?

bill.young
07-31-2013, 04:33 PM
It's a 13" Macbook from mid 2009. I haven't had any troubles with Boot Camp, but have heard of some connection issues with folks using Parallels...nothing first hand though.

rawhide
07-31-2013, 05:09 PM
thank you bill that is very helpful.

Stephen50
08-01-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm using a 4 year old MacBook Pro with Parallels and Windows 7 Home with no problems. You may want to reconsider purchasing a MacBook Air with no internal hard drive to run a cd, you will have to obtain an external hard drive if using as an example Vector Art 3D software.

davidp
08-01-2013, 09:49 PM
I have used a MacBook Pro running XP and VMWare in an emergency. (I normally run a Win box on the bot). It worked fine. I found VMWare to be much more stable and reliable than Parallels, and will run more Win programs with less problems than Parallels. I have never used bootcamp as I don't like having to reboot every time I switch OS.

I use VM Ware every day with both XP and Win 7 Ultimate to run V Carve, Turbocad and Artcam. Has work flawlessly for almost three years.

One benefit is that networking is much more stable with the mac than a pure windows network.

Also there was some one on the forum some time ago who ran a bot using an iMac.

But I still have to ask why use a Ferrari to go grocery shopping when any $500 win box with a bit of tweaking will run your bot? I know going over to the dark side can be traumatic :-) but get over it.

David
Sydney