PDA

View Full Version : 2 Quick Spindle Questions

Mark Farris
08-07-2013, 04:00 PM
I have my new to me 2010 PRS Alpha 9648 powered up and running. A couple questions regarding the spindle, which is my first one.
1) After spindle warm-up, how long can the spindle set idle before I need to run the warm-up routine again? I know it's for the bearings, but there are times I go awhile between runs in the same day.
2) Since the spindle fan is connected to the 24V power supply it comes on when the power is switched on to the control box. Then I have the interface key to engage the spindle inverter when I'm ready to run the spindle. It seems odd that the fan runs from the minute the control box is switched on until it is switched off. I would like to leave the control box on between runs but don't like listening to the spindle fan run. Also wouldn't that somewhat shorten the life of the fan? Is there a way that it could be switched on at the same time as the inverter? Possibly with a second power supply or other electronics?

Thanks,
Mark

srwtlc
08-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Mark,

#1 - I kind of run the same way as you describe and it depends on how long it has been between times and how cool/cold the shop may be. If it hasn't been real long since the last time and it's not to cool, I'll just let it run a bit before hitting enter the last time to start a cut file. If its been longer and is cooler, then I'll run the full warm up routine. I'm sure you'll get a number of different answers for this one, but that's what I've been doing for 6+ years with mine.

#2 - I have an early PRS Alpha and don't have the interlock, but seeing the same fan situation, I wired in a double pole/double throw toggle switch (think that's what it's called) that when in the off position, the fan is off and the spindle can't be started by pushing the green start button. Even with that, I've gone through several fans. I used to replace them with the same Pabst EMB fans, but they kept failing so I've started trying some other 24 volt fans with similar CFM and so far so good. Got one that has double the CFM, but not sure I want to put it in because it's a screamer!