PDA

View Full Version : "Honey, I Shrunk the Clock!" - JULY 2013 Project of the Month

mtylerfl
08-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Hello,

Here is the July 2013 project I created for owners of Aspire 4 (and future higher versions). It is a FREE download, courtesy of Vectric!

http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/projects/2013/mini-grandfather-clock.html

This FREE project features a miniature version of a classic Grandfather Clock “shrunk” down to a height of about 42" ! The clock is constructed in sections/layers with the Vectric Aspire files (17 of them) ordered and organized to correspond with the chronological build process outlined in the included illustrated PDF instructions.

The project goes together quite easily. Perhaps the greatest challenge is the cutting of a couple miter joints on one of the base layers and the topmost clock head bonnet, but even this task is a straight-forward process for the average woodworker.

Special thanks to ShopBot and Vectric for making this project possible!

• I created the design/layout using Vectric's Aspire 4 software. (You must own Aspire 4 or later, to be able to run this project.)

• I used a ShopBot PRSAlpha BT48 to run this project and the toolpath settings were specifically for that machine and bits I used. You can make changes to suit your particular machine, bits, etc.

The project uses the following bits...

0.25" down-spiral End Mill
0.125" Ball Nose
0.5" Ball Nose
90-degree V-Bit

Apply your choice of finish. I am applying an oil paint glaze/stain on my prototype using artist's oil paints (a technique I learned from my aunt many years ago in one of her Tole painting classes).

Ajcoholic
08-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Mike, I already have downloaded the files and will make one when time permits... but probably in walnut, cherry or mahogany.

Its a great looking clock! :) Thanks a lot for such a wonderful project/files. Much appreciated!

Andrew

myxpykalix
08-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Michael,
I always like to see pictures of projects you come up with and am always amazed at the crazy variety of different ideas that come out of your head!:eek:
You seem to top yourself each time....good job!:D

Bob Eustace
08-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Thanks Michael - your best project yet!

dlcw
08-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Michael,

What a great project! Thank you for your generosity!

I will be building one possibly out of bubinga and maybe using some ebony inlay just for the heck of it. I love the color combo. I may even through in some curly maple because I love the contrast with bubinga. I'll have to figure out which wood would go where for the best results.

Thanks again!!!!

jhedlund58
08-10-2013, 06:39 PM
I thank you too. This was the project that finally convinced me to upgrade from Aspire 3.5 to 4. I never thought I wood need anything more than 3.5 Again, I was sadly mistaken. Patterns are worth as much as software, but I up to date again and the patterns were a major part of my decision.

thanks again to vectric and shopbot

Simops
08-11-2013, 03:03 AM
Michael,

As always great projects....I've done a few in the past and they have been hits with family and friends.

Any reason why I could not alter the plans to build a taller unit??

Cheers

tlempicke
08-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Have you looked into putting a real clockworks into the case? How long of a pendulun would the case accommodate?

mtylerfl
08-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Thank you all! I appreciate your encouragement and enthusiasm!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the versions you come up with! Lots of creative possibilities, including installing a pendulum clock insert (with a modified long panel to reveal the pendulum), creating a footed base, adding a couple decorative turned spindle ornaments on both sides of the bonnet, etc.

The clock could certainly be scaled up to full-size, but I would likely use some different strategies for creating the mouldings and layers for a "big" one. (I purposed to make this "shrunk" version as simple and straightforward to cut/carve/assemble, as possible.)

sugarbeatco
08-16-2013, 02:22 AM
Awesome! I've tried only one other vectric download, but gonna give this a try.

jhedlund58
08-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the Great project.

mtylerfl
08-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Great job, Jeff! Thank YOU for sharing your project photo!

jhedlund58
08-21-2013, 12:22 PM
These vectric projects are the best... I have learned too much from them. Especially for retired professional hobbyist. I make woodstrip canoe, train tables, kitchen cabinets and ALMOST anything I could think of before CNC. I did my research before purchasing anything and is why I bought the shopbot and aspire to begin with.... Price was not cheap, but I will never need anything else. I told nancy what I wanted to do and she sold me a buddy 48 with spindle, rollers AND Aspire3.0 which got upgraded for free to 3.5. I upgraded to 4.0 for the projects. I was hoping projects of month wood b backwards compatible.... Glad to be current and well worth It... probably the best value in software since DOS

myxpykalix
08-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Jeff,
If "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", i'd say you paid Michael a nice compliment with your version of his clock. Great job!:D

GlenP
08-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Awesome project and files. I am going to use cherry to build one. I to will post pics for you to see. Make a great gift for my wife's 98 year old grandmother. :)
Thanks for your effort and all you do for these monthly projects. Much appreciated to you and Vectric. :):):)

mtylerfl
08-26-2013, 09:02 PM
Hi Glen,

Looking forward to seeing photos of your clock. It will make a wonderful gift for your wife's 98 year old grandmother!