PDA

View Full Version : Squaring Table - Cross Support Bolt Distances

jas (Unregistered Guest)
12-18-2004, 01:09 AM
I am in the process of assembling the table. I am on the step where it says to "Square the Leg to the Upper End Support". Which I just can't seem to do. So I started looking and measuring and I noticed that the distance between the bolt holes where the supports attach to the table legs are different in the upper support vs. the lower support. I also downloaded the table plans and the plans confirm this (if I am reading them correctly). According to my measurements and those taken from the table plans for the PRTAlpha 96. It shows a distance of 58.5 inches from the middle of the end bolt holes in the upper support, and a distance of 59 inches from the middle of the end bolt holes in the lower support. So here is my question, with these two different distances, how can you square the table leg to the upper support when the lower support will be pushing out 0.25 inches on each side? This also will affect the rails too, and not make them perfectly vertical, right?

So I have come to two conclusions:

1. I have done something wrong in the assembly process, and there is a way to indeed get the table legs square to the supports.

2. This is meant to be, and the table legs (along with table sides, rails, etc) will pivot, or be on a slight angle to the inside since the lower support is pushing them out by 0.25 on each side.

Also, looking at the plans for the 120 and 144 inch tables, if I did my math correct, it looks like the distance is indeed equal on the upper and lower supports for these two tables. Which makes things really confusing and I start questioning my two conclusions above?

paco
12-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Jas,
one VERY important thing about the table assembly, is to get the tops of the rails sides flat and level to each other to get the rails as vertical as possible once installed... for this, you will sure need to move the upper or lower distance your refering too in or out to achieve this since the legs can't be adjust from this view (they can only be squared from the side view as a more esthetical aspect...) The fact that the legs are'nt perfectly vertical won't affect it's performance and accuracy. As far as I know, you should have slots in the lower support to make this adjustment... My table is weld and I have one side that the legs are in about 1" at the lower support... the other side just happen to be quite vertical... but my table's sides are VERY flat and level from each other...
You may want to give a call to support to confirm your assembly while your still at the beginning... or keep posting your questions. We'll help you get your table right.

jas (Unregistered Guest)
12-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks paco,

I emailed support first, and they said the same thing: get the top of the sides flat and level for the rails. They also said there should be enough play in the bolt holes to accomplish this, but so far I havent' been able to get it, so I don't see how I can do this without widening the holes on the lower support (or upper). I guess I will get the drill out.

The thing that bothers me is the 1/2" the distances are off on the 96 table but they are the same on the 120 and 144 table plans?

paco
12-18-2004, 12:03 PM
What's the size of the bolts; maybe you could consider using a smaller diameter for the lower support (though not too small)?!... as for drilling bigger holes, you'll needed a quite large drill bit; might want to consider using a die grinder if have one or a rounded file for metals and filling only what's needed...
Hummm... confusing about the 120 and 144 tables since they need this adjustment too...
Take ALL the needed time to do this assembling right or you'll hate yourself later... and have fun with your new tool!!!

dvanr
12-19-2004, 06:57 AM
Hi Jas,

As near as I can tell the drawing is wrong for the 96" version. I checked the old version and the top rail (299-01) is right . The legs in the new revision have changed, they now have their holes drilled in one line , before they moved in at the bottom to allow adjustment on the SLOTTED holes for the bottom cross support. Short story is , get out the drill, file or torch.

If you have enough clamps you may be able to use your top cross support holes as a guide to drill the hole for the bottom cross support.

DvanR

dvanr
12-19-2004, 07:00 AM
Hey Jas,

what did you think of the drawing format?

I'm not all that impressed, having to constantly tilt my head or turn the paper to read the numbers started to drive me nuts.

DvanR

jas (Unregistered Guest)
12-19-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Started with a drill and realized it was going to be a while, so I looked harder and found basically a round file that I could put in the drill. This made quick work of the job. It was interesting, I ended up extending the bolt holes on the bottom support about .25 on each side to give me my 1/2 inch. After that every thing squared, the top of the sides became level and when I put my straight edge across, they didn't pivot anymore. I would definitely say the dimensions on the lower bracket are not correct.

As for the drawings, to even see the numbers I wanted I had to download the plans and view them in adobe, then I could rotate and resize to read.

jas (Unregistered Guest)
12-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Has nobody else had this issue?

paco
12-19-2004, 02:57 PM
A round file in a drill...

... why not!?
I suggest you report your observation to support; you never know if you'll be buying another tool!!