PDA

View Full Version : Parallelism. This worked for me.

jcg
07-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Hi. After going crazy trying to set the parallelism on my ShopBot I came up with a couple of jigs that greatly simplified the task. There could be an easier way, but this worked so well for me, I thought I’d submit it. It could help others as well.

To set X-rail parallelism:
1. Cut a 2x6 to approximately 70”
2. Find the lengthwise center.
3. Measure 33.0625” in both directions from center. This is the distance of the inner faces of the X-rails.
4. Using a table saw or router with a 3/16” rabbet bit, cut a 3/16” wide x ¾” deep groove at the 33.0625” marks on the “away from center” side.
5. Make at least two and preferably more of these.
6. Adjust one X-rail so that it is strait and true.
7. Lay the parallel jigs across the table near the mounting bolts so that the vertical track of each X-rail rests in the 3/16” grooves. The vertical tracks should fit snugly in the grooves. You may need to add packing if the fit is too loose. Make sure that packing is added to the same side of each groove.
If you made your grooves at exactly the same distance from each other on each parallel jig, then this will greatly simplify setting parallelism on the X-rails.

To set the Y-rail parallelism:
1. Cut 2 pieces of ½” plywood to 21.625” x 24”. Make sure that the sides are parallel and the right angles are 90°.
2. Lay the plywood lengthwise between the Y-rails with the edges flush with the ends of the Y-rails.
3. Using bar clamps, pull the Y-rails together until they are firmly pressed against the edge of the plywood. Don’t forget to use clamp pads so that they don’t mar the powder coat.
The rails should be parallel. The square ness can be checked by laying a strait edge across the edge of plywood and a flat board clamped to the side of the X-rail.

Hope this helps someone.
Newbie ShopBotter,
Jim Crawford