PDA

View Full Version : Waste and Scrap wood.

genek
08-26-2013, 07:15 PM
What is waste or scrap wood? My definition is saw dust or small pieces of wood that I have not come up with a use for. When I go to the saw mill to get my Kiln dried wood I go through their scrap bins. ( I get Permission) I find wood like the large 4 foot x 19 inch piece of walnut. To them that is Scrap; to me that is a $600.00 coffee table. I will use curly maple to make the legs and base (about $20.00 worth of wood) This will be about the 15th coffee table I have made out of their scrap. (never tell them how much you make off of their scrap they would start charging) Wood that has character always brings in top price. They are a one of a kind Piece of furniture or other items.
the hole will be filled with clear epoxy. Then the board will be sanded smooth and shot with a clear coat. I will make legs and cross members and then attach the board to the legs. When I go fishing I look for logs, branches etc. (by the way I keep a chain saw in my truck.) When I go to the saw mill I also go to their slap pile and look for knots etc. Here are some more pictures of some of the products that I make. notice I use the shop bot to cut holes and shapes for my cutting boards. Notice the (what some would call scrap) have been turned into clocks etc. Also notice my $250.00 walking stick. The walking stick sold the first hour after setting up. A doctor bought it ..
It cost me $50.00 to get the skin tanned. The snake meet me at my shop door this spring. By the way the Stick inside of the snake was a strip off of a board that I made something else out of.

Use your imagination Look for designs in Nature. Think outside of normal woodworking. Your shop bot is a gold mine use it.

How many pieces of scrap wood do you see that I have used That in the past you have thrown away or burnt.

will post more pictures shortly.. have hit the max

genek
08-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Here are some More Pictures. So many ways to make money and have fun doing it.
My wife says that I can see a pattern or make things from anything I come across.

genek
08-26-2013, 07:32 PM
I forgot to up load the pictures. Don't be afraid to make one of a kind pieces. When I do shows that I know that People from out of state are going to be their I bring out my one of a kind. Unique pieces catches peoples eye and it will sale. I have found that I can put a Higher price tag on those pieces and get top dollar for my work. The small Dowel rods end that most throw away. I save and use them notice the cutting boards notice the little tray. (by the way the wavy sections of the tray were put in with my belt sander. do inlay with your shop bot. cut a circle in wood the size of a dowel rod, cut a circle in wood then cut a half moon in some other wood leaving the center of the half moon the size of a dowel rod. then Glue them into your hole you cut. if it is loose no problem let the dust fill in the crack as you sand. Just make sure you keep wet glue there while sanding.

genek
08-26-2013, 07:46 PM
The little jewelry boxes First I split a 9 quarter board so I have a book matched top and bottom. Then I pocket out the inside of both sections. (normally I use a board 4 foot long. this way I get as many boxes out of each board as possible. Then I glue them back up sand and coat. easy as falling off a log.

ssflyer
08-26-2013, 07:54 PM
Hi Gene,

Thanks for posting. I love the diversity and imagination you put into all your products!

genek
08-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Ron this is what makes it so much fun for me. Finding ways to make things and by doing this I stay ahead of my competition. At some point in time You get copied, but if you keep moving and changing you stay ahead. Thus Making good money, I have my standard products but I also have my whimsical products also.

genek
08-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Ron My post are to help others open up Their Imaginations and to be able to make a good living with their wood working. In the first cd I had a oven rack pull I now have taken that simple design and designed four more oven rack pulls. a roaster, fish, Horse and a sea horse. I love coming up with ways to do things I love helping others to make a goal with their shop bot. This is one way I teach and help others. I know some think maybe I am bragging but I am not.. I get in these moods to share and to help. Beginning with a new cnc is a little hard and frustrating and can be over whelming some give up. Hopefully some will listen, look and take my advice and have fun and make money doing so. Most of the things I design will sale almost any place I go. I change my set up to match the festival or show. Tina and I will be doing the incredible food show, that is put on by the Food network. They called asking us to be at the show in Lexington, Ky. They had seen Some of our products and wanted us to be in this show. EVERYONE that has a shop bot can do what I do.. They can make real good money. I am still learning and hopefully will continue to learn till the day I die.

genek
08-26-2013, 08:23 PM
To Hide screws first pocket you a hole the size of a 3/4 inch dowel rod. cut your dowel rod to fit flush. drill a hole just slightly smaller than the screw. insert screw into dowel rod. then pre-drill your other piece and screw together, now glue the dowel rod and part to the original wood that you pocketed. that is how the little clock is put together.