PDA

View Full Version : My first file cut

scottp55
08-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Compared to you guys it's Nothing, just a prototype for font and depth to find the depth and cut of font for blind kids blocks. This is only pine, but I thought sure I would ruin it as I was nudging all over the place and resetting Y. Beautiful machine the Desktop.:)

MogulTx
08-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Hey Scott.

Don't put yourself down. That is beautiful work- ESPECIALLY since it is a first cut!

If I remember correctly, I snapped a bit on my first effort! SO you are at least one up on me!!!

Keep it up- and never apologize for pine. it is what it is, and that is one of God's prolific woods- and has made homes and furniture and implements for countless years! Plus it is a pretty inexpensive wood to tinker with!

Have fun with it!

shilala
08-29-2013, 05:57 PM
That looks absolutely fantastic, Scott. It's a hell of an accomplishment to keep things that clean and tight in pine. You're definitely on the right track!!!

scottp55
08-29-2013, 06:04 PM
I had to put myself down, because I'm grinning like a fool.:)

kartracer63
08-29-2013, 06:11 PM
That would be cool wainscoting for a day care center.

Nice work!

chiloquinruss
08-29-2013, 10:26 PM
I was thinking what a great lid for a toy box! Terrific first project! Well done! Welcome to the fun part of cnc! Russ

scottp55
08-30-2013, 03:22 AM
Thanks everyone, Wainscoting,Toy Box lids, I'm still thinking inside the box. Great Ideas. My best friend just had Major surgery last week and she's coming down with the kids Saturday. She taught preshoolers children with Autism and special needs for many years. I'm going to make a set with three rows for her I hope with her name in the middle as with a space it has 13 letters. DOES ANYONE HAVE Heart shaped profile I can stick in the blank space? I don't have Aspire(wish I had bought it), so it would have to be cut 3D. Thanks all. scott

Bob Eustace
08-30-2013, 04:13 AM
Great work Scott! A little trick we all use with pine to reduce the fuzzies a bit is to run the same tool path twice. After the cut has finished. Just hold down "control" and press R.

myxpykalix
08-30-2013, 04:14 AM
http://heart.turbosquid.com/
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/iconic-heart-3ds-free/389728

google is your friend:D

scottp55
08-30-2013, 04:39 AM
Bob and Jack, somebody else is awake.Going nuts trying to remember how TJ made a heart. I'm going to go 2.5D with that .32 pointed round over (Barley twist to you Bob)I used for the rads. Thank you Joe Crumley. Going onto Google now for a heart line drawing Jack. Still on first cup of coffee.

myxpykalix
08-30-2013, 04:48 AM
here is a dxf

myxpykalix
08-30-2013, 04:58 AM
making a heart in 2d is simple.
follow this
make a square box in 2d
take and turn it so it looks like a diamond (corners up)
take and make a round circle that is the same width as box
cut away vectors inside box
my example isn't exactly symetrical but you get the idea

scottp55
08-30-2013, 05:46 AM
Jack, do you mind looking at this? I designed the whole thing and then thought of a piece of live edge rosewood I've had forever. SO I grabbed the entire 2D drawing and nudged the whole thing up a bit on the Y-axis. Looks like the only thing that moved was the round over profile. Is there an easy way to fix? or should I just nudge it back to the way it was and hope it will undo itself?

scottp55
08-30-2013, 06:12 AM
I got it. Thanks for the heart lesson Jack.:)

myxpykalix
08-30-2013, 05:37 PM
sorry i went to bed after posting, you were probably just getting up! I couldn't tell from the pic what the problem was anyway? Glad you got it fixed but sometimes the more valuable lessons you remember are the ones you solve yourself:eek:
Let me know if you need any other help...:D

khaos
08-30-2013, 05:45 PM
I think you are doing great with my first cut I created the crispy bot (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7400&highlight=crispy). So I call what you have a big ol win!

Keep rocking and rolling. :cool:

scottp55
08-30-2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks Jack, Yes I learned many thinks today, screws jump in front of bits, the screw won, if you do not have your vacuum hose somehow supported it will cause your machine to go intermittently crazy, if you overdo the bit lubricant and decide not to wipe it off, you are zeroing to the drop of lubricant and will mill .003" of air until you wipe it off. You will learn to me more choosy of the scrap of wood you pick to do a test run with (OAK FUZZIES), and you will learn that cherry carves like a dream and boy does it feel good. Joe saw that when I first jumped on the sight, forgot it was you. Keep my fire extinguisher close because of that, Your First Cut? Ouch! Thanks all.

scottp55
08-30-2013, 06:17 PM
I like cherry.:)

bleeth
08-31-2013, 08:05 AM
Bit lubricant? I can't imagine any reason at all for using any kind of lube when cutting wood. I can think of a very good reason not to use it. (Why would I want to get some kind of petroleum product applied to a piece of wood that I want to finish later, possibly resulting in bad finish adhesion, fish-eyes, or irregular color?). Even when cutting thin aluminum you don't really need it.

scottp55
08-31-2013, 11:54 AM
Hi Dave, when we were building the house I hated available soffits, so cut my own out of 3/8" rough cedar faced ply, stacked 3 deep and used freud 1/2" ups carbides and burned out 2 bits in short order doing the plunge cut on a PC 3.25 hp. Bought the Bostic DriCote and 2 bits finished the the last 1,000 linear' and went on to finish a lot of the teak in the house. 3 times better than without, So still use it almost all my carbide, still using the blade on my unisaw that ripped my teak 10/4 and cut maple and cherry on it yesterday smooth as babies . So I kind of figured it wouldn't hurt with the bot.

bleeth
08-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Dri-Cote is a pretty good product. I was thinking you were putting something like WD-40 on them. You do need to let it dry though!
Freud Carbide tip bits are very average quality. For normal (non-cnc) router use Amana, Whiteside, or Onsrud tipped bits will last a lot longer.

scottp55
08-31-2013, 02:21 PM
Not using Freud for Desktop, did pick up some Magnate pointed round overs before I saw Joe's were blue. alsome 4 flute end mills from monster 1/32 and 64'ths and to fill out the order some 60 degree 1/4 v's as we're only going down, .110, Dave would a 2-3 flute downcut EM cut any cleaner than the 1/8" single O(?)flute, that shopbot sent with the starter set. cutting hard maple and don't want to cut twice for fuzz. Thanks , I remember you from my beginning here. "What kind of name is Bleeth?- hmm.---nice guy" :)

bleeth
08-31-2013, 02:50 PM
I use down mills or compression bits for maple and generally use O's for plastics.
For area clear pockets you want to look for flat bottom/mortising bits. The starter set is just that-Go over the serial numbers of the bits against the Onsrud catalog for what they are designed for. I would suggest getting a printed copy if you don't have one. There are plenty of other good bits besides theirs, but their catalog rates as one of the best for cutting information.
This document they authorized is also a great learning resource and should be required reading for everyone who runs a router:

http://cucfablab.org/sites/cucfablab.org/files/onsrud_routing_guide.pdf

As you get into it you'll see there is no O flute recommended for maple and Hard Maple in particular has a different rake angle specified than others.

It's the one my grandfather was born with.
Thanks for the complement-My employees may differ in that opinion.

scottp55
08-31-2013, 04:23 PM
Thanks Dave, got the onsrud catalog already, used the O because it was undersized and cleared all around the letters because it was. Thanks. About to be invaded by my best friend and her kids and guests for the long weekend. Housework should have four letters. Hope to get them interested in the desktop. scott

khaos
08-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Scott, What software do you have? Did you get your heart outline resolved?

scottp55
09-01-2013, 06:47 AM
Joe, "Just" the VCarvePro shopbot edition, Should have gone for Aspire but got lost in the demo's. Heart solved by Jack, Thanks Eugene for the offer. Did in 2.5D with .325 pointed round over. slow but nice(should have used clearance tool). Thanks all. scott

khaos
09-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Glad you got that resolved. I was curious about the vcarve interface so for fun I downloaded vcarve pro and made a vid about how I approach a vector heart shape. Gone in less than 60 seconds (http://joesboats.com/sbtuts/VectorHeart/).

This is just another way to do it. :D

myxpykalix
09-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Joe my version
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18158&page=2
was a little more labor intensive but i really like how you were able to make your tutorial. Very cool. What pgm did you use?:confused: good job

edit: i see camtasia studio...

scottp55
09-02-2013, 07:08 AM
Joe, much easier to understand and grasp in a well made video. Thanks. Cooking and cleaning for 7 guest kept me pretty busy, but the kids all want name plates and signs for their doors, but want immediate gratification. Oh well it's a start and they understand the Desktop better. It looked like "Weird Science" with all the kids in their Clark Kent safety glasses in the shop. Thanks again for the video you're good at it. Same as Jack's but easier to grasp watching somebody do it. Oops can you say, "Breakfast wraps 7 to go", got to go

scottp55
09-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Just an aside. Humidity now 40% higher than when I cut the panel, I think I discovered a new way to make a wave form panel. Support with rabbet or dadoed edge material would be a must.

khaos
09-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Really glad you all liked it. I think a quick video can help when explaining. There is a real value to how Jack does it too. By virtue of not being perfectly symmetrical you can really get stylized. :)

All Tools in the toolbox!!

scottp55
09-03-2013, 09:43 AM
I like both ways. That O-flute in the starter kit may be inappropriate for maple but at 1.3 IPS sure cut nice. ran second pass but didn't need it. Used Joe's pointed round over to cut it free with a skin layer. 220g sanding sponge with 50-50 tung citrus solvent, 4.5x6x3/8".