PDA

View Full Version : Clocks

genek
09-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Making clocks. You do not have to have perfect wood to make a clock. Actually I prefer 2nd, splatted wood or any wood with some character. The more unique that the clock is the better.

You can get clocks that all you have to do is route out the whole for them to slide into. You can have thousands of different shapes.

I use wood that is rotten on the ends chunks of wood I find while fishing, scrape wood that the saw mill is throwing away.

Again go to my post at project ideas and look at the clocks I made from scrape wood.

Here is a piece of curly maple that the saw mill sold me last week and gave me half off on the wood because this ran the full length of the board. This one chunk will be two $50.00 clocks. The full 12 foot 2 inch thick board was paid for with two clocks.. plus I will have some more scrap to make bottle stoppers out of.

By using your scrap wood you can pay for the lumber you need.
Look for oddities, women love oddities, ask you wife or girl friend to help you pick out scrap wood to make into clocks. They are fast and simple.

Think out side of perfect..

scottp55
09-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Eugene, Many people up here in Maine have cheap fiberglass fishing boats that they only use once a month to cruise the man-made lakes created by the CCC dams to pick up Dry-Ki (root driftwood) some amazing cedar and other rootwood aged in water since the '30's free for the picking. A canoe, and a weekend with a chainsaw, would give you more funky wood than you could use in a year. Clocks, Coffee tables and such big business here. I bought a $80 5x8 cedar clock 15 years ago in Camden and it was just the tip of the root, the coffee table was $595. Flagstaff Lake.

scottp55
09-04-2013, 11:20 PM
Civilian Construction Corps. The roots of the forests started coming up to the surface in the 60's and still coming up now in New England. Every August at low water, Good pickings. Watch out for Rocks, use old chainsaw blades.

genek
09-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Lakes, rivers, streams and along roads etc are great places to pick up wood.

just remember to bring it into the shop allow to dry before using. I put wood that I gather from those locations in my attic. It is much Hotter up there and the wood dries faster. I also have a metal building that I store raw wood in.

I keep a generous amount on hand all of the time. When I get back to the shop I will be Making more clocks out of the wood That I showed you with the tree inside.