PDA

View Full Version : Log cabins

genek
09-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Are there log cabins in your area, does the home owners put them up or is there a few companies that erect the log homes. There is a need for items cut with the cnc. Electrical in a log home presents a very unique problem. You have to hid the wire, you have to hide your electrical boxes. The lighting boxes need to be heavy enough to hold up a ceiling fan if needed but yet decorative.
Here are some examples of how we over came our electrical problems. These you can make for contractors or electrical installers. Go talk to them let them know that you can make wooden boxes to hide electrical boxes ect in. How I made our boxes was with 12 x 2 pine. I did a circle on the outside and a box just big enough for the electrical box to fit intoI screwed the boxes together from the top side and drilled holes at a angle to mount it to the beams. There was a hole for the electrical wire to enter.

Also where the plug ins were on the log home I had to cut angles to hide the electrical box and a wooden cover to hide the frontal view of the box and to have a level surface for the plug in plate to rest.

myxpykalix
09-09-2013, 02:58 AM
We built a log home on our farm 30 years ago and what i recall was that it was built just like "Lincoln Logs". I recall that the tops and bottoms of the logs were flat and in the center was a groove for some type of silicone or rubber insulating membrane but on some of them there were extra grooves where the electrical wires were run.
I don't recall that wires went thru each individual log but were run over from a corner and hidden behind large baseboards. Nowadays i'm sure it's way more sophisticated in construction.
But the thing is that log house will still be there 100 years from now when every one of US is DUST!:eek:

genek
09-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Electrical codes now do not allow you to just lay the wire in a grove in the logs. You have to run conduit. Each of the plugins were drilled down and 3/4 conduit was put into the log. The lighting fixtures the conduit and wire we hide behind a 2 inch board nailed at a angle in the corner of the roof rafters. Like i said the electrical was a challenge to hide.

myxpykalix
09-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Hi Eugene, yes i didn't make it clear that the electrical was in conduit but within this groove in the log. I don't recall that there was any wires that were fed vertically thru one log to the next but that it ran from the corners over...

The pictures you have, is that your home? How old is it? Man you can't beat a log home for stability and keeping warm in the cold Michigan winters. BRRRR....:cool:

genek
09-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Yes Jack that is our home. it is about 5 years old. it is in Stanton Kentucky. The electrical person did run conduit between the logs, but the inspector turned it down.. I had to go underneath the house and drill vertically to where the outlet boxes was going. The electrical company had no clue as how to hide the wires or how to mount the lighting I ended up doing or redoing a lot of the electrical work.