PDA

View Full Version : Mounting VFD Controller

bob_lofthouse
05-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Hi all,

I currently have my VFD controller mounted on a wall next to my machine.

I am about to install my second machine and want to place the VFD Controller on the side of the table but have concerns that the controller or its fan might become damage by dust etc.

Has anyone else done this or have advice on the subject.

gerald_d
05-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Hi Robert

Bet you are going to check the voltage before you switch this one on.

I don't think that the Delta VFD's are dust-friendly at all. They have unfiltered fans drawing (blowing?) dusty air through channels which are hard to see and therefore the chances of them clogging up are too risky. It is fine to tell yourself that you'll blast it with compressed air every day, but how do you know that you have actually cleaned it - before you have spun the fan to warp speed? I am nervous even to wall-mount the thing nearby, because then I'll be even less inclined to clean it. (We've already burnt out a fan-cooled power supply that became clogged with dust - we thought that we gave it enough cleaning, but obviously we hadn't). To cut a long story short, I would mount it where I can keep a good eye on it.

elcruisr
05-03-2006, 03:38 PM
My VFD is mounted on the end of the frame near 0,0 position with a wooden dust cover over it with room for airflow. Five years and running. Never gets blown out much and hasn't missed a lick axcept for when we lost one power leg of our three phase power. Those caps can make some smoke when they blow!

Eric

bob_lofthouse
05-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Hi Gerald and Eric,

Gone for the wall for the VFD.

They really do go with a bang don't they...