View Full Version : Turquoise Machining

Burkhardt
10-16-2013, 10:48 AM
I have a 20" diameter slab of nice mulberry root wood that I want to make a serving/cutting board of. It has wide natural checks, voids and crevices that I plan to inlay with turquoise chips and epoxy.

I know this inlay technique is quite common for turned bowls but I want to surface the slab on the CNC. The turquoise has a moderate hardness and I am concerned if that can be done with a regular carbide bit (maybe an older bit that I can afford to dull).

Any recommendation? I could also use a belt sander but that may leave smeared turquoise dust with epoxy on the surface.

Thanks!

scottp55
12-23-2013, 06:32 AM
G., Did you ever do that? Was going to try Malachite(softer) or opal(similar). Some turquoise Is so chalky it's "stabilized" CA works (I would never sell it-But got a good deal in Gallup). Curious. scott

Burkhardt
12-25-2013, 03:51 PM
No, not yet. I bought the turquoise granulate but did not get around to filling in the board. But from what I read in the meantime it may not be a good idea to try milling it. People who use it on turned pieces also don't use a chisel to turn it smooth. I suspect the bit will grab the granules and rip them out of the epoxy instead of cutting. I guess I will try sanding it down with a coarse sheet on the orbital sander.