PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection Hose Size

kenz
04-28-2007, 06:06 AM
I'm using a Fein Turbo III for my dust collection, and the standard Shopbot dust skirt. What is preferable, run 4" hose from the dust skirt to the Fein and use a reducer at the Fein, or run 2 1/2" hose from the Fein to the dust skirt and put the reducer at the dust skirt. Or does it not matter one way or the other.

fleinbach
04-28-2007, 07:04 AM
Ken,

If you use a Fein vacuum or simular that uses a 2 or 2 1/2" hose you want to run that diameter as close to the dust foot as possible. Increasing the diameter of the hose considerably cuts down the velocity of the air flow and larger particles will not be picked up.

kenz
04-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks Frank. I had a feeling it made a big difference. I went with the 2 1/2", and I'm probably going to make my own dust skirt that I can attach the 2 1/2" hose directly.

fleinbach
05-01-2007, 06:23 AM
One more thing I might add is that a lot depends on how fast you cut. If you mostly cut using multiple paths you will be ok. But if you cut using bits larger then 1/2 inch making single passes at say 10 ips the vacuum most likley will clog up. I have a 4" hose connected to my Grizzly Quad bag system and even it has clogged when cutting fast with high chip load but I only remember it happening to me one time.