View Full Version : Quicky during training...

TimS
10-23-2013, 01:12 AM
Late last week, I was at ShopBot's headquarters for handibot training. We cut only a handful of things as most of the training covered other aspects (care and feeding of a handibot, walk-thru of using VCarve for folks that weren't familiar, how to configure SB3 for handibots, factory tour, etc).

The last carving assignment we did was supposed to be:

- draw a simple shape
- add some text
- use the v-bit to carve it

I think the expectation was something more like, use the polygon tool to make a star, add your name, cut it out.

I went with something slightly broader in scope and more seasonal in nature. Not everything we cut has to be the next coolest invention...this one was just for fun... :)

This is carved into a solid core door that was placed on top of our desks - no fancy holddown system needed of course!

chiloquinruss
10-23-2013, 12:00 PM
First off welcome to the world of Botters. Second, it is fun to just every once an a while, make something really fun! BTW I do that every day! Russ

TimS
10-23-2013, 02:20 PM
Russ,

Thanks. I normally only post bigger projects and those are fairly few and far between so I end up posting fairly rarely. This one made me smile so I figured I'd share the smile.

I have bigger projects in mind, and a Desktop to help with the ones that are beyond the handibot's basic footprint. With a TechShop less than ten miles from my house, the handibot gives me access to all four models of 'Bot (Alpha, Buddy, and Desktop at TechShop...Desktop and handibot at my shop). I'm running out of excuses for not getting more accomplished. :D

Tim S.

chiloquinruss
10-23-2013, 03:08 PM
You know it would be interesting to proto something on the HandiBot then upscale it for the bigger machines. I.E. make it using 1/8 inch stuff on the Handi and then re-cut it with 1/2 inch stuff on the other machines. I have been doing some of that using my drawings made for 1/4 inch scale stuff and then cutting it out for 1 1/2 inch scale stuff and vice versa. Love the HandiBot I think it will be another ShopBot winner. Russ

TimS
10-24-2013, 03:20 AM
I've thought about trying scaled-down projects on my Desktop with full size cut later on an Alpha but haven't tried to implement it yet. Glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking that way…gives me hope it can be made to work.:D

TimS
10-25-2013, 11:52 PM
My handibot arrived today (a day earlier than FedEx predicted!)…figured I should set it up right away and get it to cut something…decided I'd cut the last thing it did while it was on the east coast (because now it's on the west coast so my lame pumpkin is now a coast-to-coast project). :D

Used MDF this time so the eyes look much better than they did with the luan door (which apparently hit a pocket of glue so the eyes look terrible).