PDA

View Full Version : Bill Palumbo, Camp ShopBotter extrodinaire, hands over Head-Counselor responsibilties

ted
10-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Bill Palumbo has been there at Camp ShopBots since the very first one and has provided the guiding hand in establishing this great ShopBot institution -- in the process he has helped thousands of ShopBotters become more productive. While coordinating, cultivating, and curating “Camps” and camp activities he has shared his CNC expertise and experience with ShopBotters around the country and offered friendly encouragement to all just getting started. There's an amazing number of us who owe our own use of vacuum hold-down techniques to Bill’s “vacuum evangelism”, and, who have also been inspired by Bill's promotion of 3D carving and machining with a ShopBot. Many, many, thanks Bill … and we look forward to seeing your future ShopBot projects at East and West Coast Camps.

Meanwhile, Randy Johnson is picking up the Head-Counselor torch. Randy will be organizing Camp ShopBots as well as training and educational events around the Camps. If you have requests, thoughts, or suggestions, you can contact Randy through this form at www.shopbottools.com (http://www.shopbottools.com/mCompany/contactinfo.htm). And, keep tuned for new “Camping” events on the schedule (http://www.shopbottools.com/mCompany/upcoming.htm).

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools

kartracer63
10-29-2013, 01:13 PM
I, for one, would like to thank Bill Palumbo for his tutelage with all things ShopBot and his always enjoyable ShopBot Camps. I wish you the very best, Bill. Like Ted, I can't wait to see some of the amazing projects you have yet to make.

Moving forward, I think we're all in capable hands with Randy Johnson grabbing the torch where Bill has left off. My wife, and I, had the pleasure of meeting Randy at the most recent camp we attended. While his focus may be in some different areas than Bill, I'm sure he'll teach us all some new things and keep the ShopBot Camps as enjoyable to attend as they ever were.

Cheers!

danhamm
10-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Well "Doc", you have had a good paddle, I can remember when you were pushing to get the "shopbot camps" started.
It is my hope that this didn't hit you in the rear, when one life ends start another. I know you probably have a lot of strings hanging that you just can't wait to start on.
A tip of the toddy to your new ventures Bill.

chiloquinruss
10-29-2013, 02:55 PM
It's not an easy task to be a teacher and listen to the same 'dumb' questions time after time. It's even harder when some of your students can't even spell CNC let alone run one! I have attended many camps put on by the 'Bot' gang headed up by Bill, all were very informative and really entertaining. I have had my 'Bot' for a while and I learn something new from every event. Thank you Ted for hosting the camps and picking such a wonderful partner to help bring the Bot to the masses. Mostly Bill thank you for your patience and your wealth of knowledge. I have enjoyed being with you as my teacher and I regard you as a personal friend now. Thank you very much! Russ

myxpykalix
10-29-2013, 03:20 PM
There probably not one of us who hasn't learned a nugget or two from Bill over time. I'm just wondering if he is going to bestow his hat to the next "Wizard" who is taking his place?:eek::rolleyes:

bleeth
10-29-2013, 06:41 PM
Wow, I'm shocked. Bill had talked to me about future plans for retirement but he indicated that they were still in the future.
Bill; I wish you all the best in the next chapter of your life, and as always, my door is open to you. Bring your boat on down when it's done and lets do some sailing. Or better yet, bring it down before it's done and let's polish it off here. The nice thing about sailing is what you see is what you get and the surprises from the sea are simply what they are.

joe
10-29-2013, 06:48 PM
Let me say I've never met a more cordial, friendly person as Bill P. Knowing and working with him was always a pleasure.

I've seen Bill working his magic at several camps and everyone comes away feeling they've made a good friend. This fellow is special with respect to knowledge but that's only part of his key to success. He has the ability to organize the worst shop in the world and pull off a great Shopbot Camp. There are few people who could do what he was capable of doing. I know we'll be seeing more of Bill in the future.

Best wishes to you.

Your friend,

Joe Crumley

danhamm
10-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Yes, shocked...totally.. protocall being what it is "Doc" Bill would have made the announcement if he had retired, not Ted so that's telling me
that Doc has been handed his walking papers in not so nice style, and if that's the case it leaves a taste in my mouth that has a name.

So Nancy, its a 50/50...do I stay or do I go, its your call... Bill is a classy fella we all know it and you especially, most on the forum know it this shouldn't be the way he is treated.
Dan Hammerstron

JoeinWestMich
10-29-2013, 08:08 PM
When I was looking around for an upgrade to my Carvewright, Bill offered advice and insight that was invaluable. Honestly, without his advice, I might not have a ShopBot now. Thanks, Bill. May good come and stay with you.

mark_stief
10-29-2013, 10:34 PM
Well said Dan Well said I think we all deserve to know first Gary C. now this you are going to be missed Bill Good Luck in whatever you do "Now where did I put that flyer for the yellow one":mad:

joe
10-29-2013, 11:50 PM
I'm Stunned!
Say it aint so.
Bill P. and Shopbot are one and the same.

Joe Crumley

billp
10-30-2013, 02:08 AM
I have been bombed with e-mails, and phone calls since this thread started so please let me chime in here.
I prefer to think of myself more as a diplomat than a politician so I'll keep things brief. In answer to the questions: I did NOT resign, or retire. I was called in to a meeting in Durham Monday morning and told that Shopbot was going to consolidate the Camps into the education division, and therefore I was "being let go".....
Rather than segue into a 'sailing into the sunset' routine I'd like to take this chance to thank everyone I have met during my 15 year tenure as a Shopbotter. It's been a chain of wonderful experiences, and I appreciate the time spent together in my shop, in your shops, and businesses, boats, and homes. I've seen some amazing displays of creativity, resourcefulness, and ingenuity on display every time a few 'Botters got together, and I hope that trend continues. Sometimes we take for granted what we are now capable of because of what we have learned from one another. But there's still a lot of opportunity for everyone to become better at what we do, so when you get the chance, share what you can offer, and in turn even MORE will come back to you.....Thanks!

steve_g
10-30-2013, 05:31 AM
Bill...

It’s been a couple of decades since I was similarly “let go” ... even though it still sometimes hurts, it was the best thing that ever happened to me! I was able to parley the contacts and techniques I had gleaned into an entirely different business. Though I’m sad to see you ushered out the door, I have every confidence that you’ll land on your feet! Please consider me one of the many folks who would help or be a resource for your future endeavors!

SG

jerry_stanek
10-30-2013, 08:02 AM
Bill I always liked going to your camps and how you try to help everyone. I hope you continue to help out and wish you all the best.

zeykr
10-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Bill,
Really appreciate all the help you've given me and all the other shopbotters. You've been an invaluable asset to shopbot and a big reason many of us chose to go with a shopbot in the first place.

mark_stief
10-30-2013, 09:52 AM
As I read that I'm thinking you really didn't hand over the TORCH it was stolen from you (sigh) we just all lost more than we know on this deal

chiloquinruss
10-30-2013, 10:35 AM
American business as usual, the bean counters rule and common sense has no place. It does not take a college degree to read the past messages about how we all decided on BUYING a ShopBot. It was the open freindly and down right open atmosphere of the staff, and users that lead us to our PURCHASE. Seeing a fellow Botter / staffer miss treated feels like a slap in the face to me too! I have turned on many folks to the Botter magic and now I feel I may have lead them down a path that is not of my liking. This is not good business! Russ

ron_moorehead
10-30-2013, 04:09 PM
I just wonder when the free support will go away. I was just telling someone the other day how good ShopBot was that they would still support shopbotters that had bought used ShopBot that maybe on the third owner and they would still help you. To bad to see Bill go, I missed the last camp now I am real sorry I did.

Bill, I hope thing work out for you.

waterwheelman
10-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Owning a ShopBot and being a part of the forum was like joining a large extended family. Going to the Camps was like a family reunion. The information that I gleaned from Bill during the camps has been extremely valuable to my business. During the last camp in the northwest I met Randy, and was impressed with his knowledge of the ShopBot and CNC in general. Randy's knowledge seems to be more academic in nature whereas Bill's knowledge is of a more practical experience. Bill's wisdom comes from years of trial and error plus observation of how others have tackled the many problems of using a CNC. I would go with wisdom over knowledge any day.

Bill, I hope to hear good things from you in the future. My Wife, Daughter and I have enjoyed talking with you at the NW camps. We will miss you greatly.:)

Good luck in the future Dave Chase and Family.

gundog
10-30-2013, 11:24 PM
I am sorry to hear you are not part of the camps. I will miss your visits you are a prince of a guy. I hope that some day our paths will cross again my friend.

I think a good venture for you might be holding some training camps rather than the focus being on Shopbot future sales, focus on holding training camps with your wealth of knowledge. I am sure you have a list of us Camp Shopbotter's I think there is a need and you are welcome at my shop to hold such sessions.

Mike

kubotaman
10-31-2013, 12:15 AM
Bill, obviously everyone is sorry to see you leaving. I am included in the group. Earlier this month when I attended the North West Camp I noticed a change in the usual way you ran the meeting. Half way thru you gave the floor to another individual and the meeting again went well. I suspect you knew at that time something was to change in the future. It now dawns on me of the "old" employee teaching the "newer" employee the ropes. We have all heard of different cases such as this. It really is a mistake on ShopBot's part. I fell that they may have a hard time replacing you since there is so much traveling expected to run these camps. Not everyone can do it. These are only my opinions but I stand by them. I appreciate you giving your best to the camps and I am sure it wasn't easy at times. If you are at any time up my way I certainly would feel proud to have you drop by!

phil_o
10-31-2013, 08:24 AM
The Yankees without Mariano Rivera, Cleveland without Lebron James, now Shopbot without Bill Palumbo. No matter who represents Shopbot at the camps in the future they won't be as warm, friendly or special. Bill is a wonderful resource with a breadth and depth of experience and creativity that can't be replaced.
All the best to you Bill. I hope I haven't seen you for the last time.

Phil

hh_woodworking
10-31-2013, 09:18 AM
I too will miss you Bill.. Your knowledge has been of great help too me in my teaching of the younger minds and ways you helped me to understand different approaches to cnc world. I have also seen a difference in the way shopbot is approaching their business and not for a more friendly company to work with.

Ed

gene
10-31-2013, 11:56 AM
There is an old saying " THIS TOO SHALL PASS " . Nothing is forever.
Just remember that as one door closes , another will open .......

jhedlund58
10-31-2013, 12:13 PM
I never met bill, but have benefited from his participation in this forum ... to what extent that is meeting someone.... guess I have... I hope he doesn't stop contributing to this forum.

Aren't we jumping to conclusions being so harsh on corporate shopbot. I thank them for employing as many as they do. They still answer my occasional phone calls and provide great service by hosting this site. If they decide to charge... I have to seriously re-evaluate their value to me... that will be my decision as was to purchase originally. They have the right to run business as they see fit. I am truly sorry for the situations that arise in all businesses large and small these days. Probably harder to be a successful Domestic business now than anytime in our history. We don't know the details of the business decisions the bosses have to make. I have seen entire groups of people let go... one large company had two off-site mandatory meetings at local hotels.... one group got laid off news... the other got happy story about the future. I hope economic times improve for the domestic market so we can continue to encourage the development of a more robust manufacturing base. I am not bashing shopbot for tough decisions about staffing or marketing philosophy.

What we should be worried about is the low number of people who vote in our elections these daze which really effects the number of domestic jobs. Gosh.... I don't care who u vote for.... just do it

sorry for the rant.... not really... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

danhamm
10-31-2013, 01:00 PM
Corporate Shopbot was built on the backs of a select few and a forum, the select few and the forum they participated so heavily in is and always will be the back of shopbot, Doc or Bill Palumbo was one of the select few that kept the forum on a even keel and for many years was the main player in it.
So there is respectfull way and a disrespectfull way to deal with growing pains of corporate shopbot.
They have lost my respect and quite a few others I have recently discovered, you don't just toss your don't need you anymore away like this one went down.

jhedlund58
10-31-2013, 02:29 PM
I agree totally... tough decisions stink..... SO you write Ted a BIG FAT CHECK and run the company your way... OOPs sorry that probably wasn't very nice... true... but not nice... tough decisions have to be made everyday. Guess ted won't be hiring me as a press advisor!

richards
10-31-2013, 03:21 PM
Bill,

Best of luck and thanks for helping all of us. I had the pleasure of attending three camps. You made the many hundreds of miles that I drove worthwhile.

joe
10-31-2013, 11:42 PM
Back in 2006 Bill expressed his interest in setting up the camps using the Letterhead model. That concept was to get experts in to show their techniques and help the others go through the learning process. Sometimes this would be a lecture but mostly we were actually demonstrating skills. The router was running in the background while most of us were trying out the skills we had been introduced to. Many of the topics didn't have a thing to do with actually routing. For example we'd investigate Sculpt Nouveau or enhanced carving techniques. We'd do anything that to enhance a project such as blending or Wood Graining.

We had so much to do there was limited spare time. For example, at this camp, Gary B. did a demonstration on building panel doors using special bits and techniques. We took a short break then James introduced us to ArtCam followed by Bill showing some neat short-cut techniques using the router. I followed up with Wood Graining. We had lots of materials and everyone got into the process. It was a bang up good time

Here's a photo I love.

We have a youthful Gary B. on the left looking very much in control, then there's a Childlike James B. who looks as he'd just left home, Doug was hosting, running all over the place keeping equipment and materials at hand. Then we have our Bill who looks like the Captain of a British Schooner. Last is me looking OLD just like today. I was born that way and grumpy too.

This is as close as I can come to express the excitement and appreciation for those early camps. They were close to magic. Thank you Bill P.

Joe Crumley