PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to Canada...

harryball
04-27-2009, 10:42 AM
This topic seemed to fit best here since I need a "supplier" of shipping.

I need some expert advice on shipping to Canada economically, trusting the shipping quote (no pricey dings because the customer lives in an igloo), how to properly declare goods mfg in the US to take advantage of NAFTA and keep the customer from being dinged with a large tax bill.

My typical boxes are 29x17x5 approx 10 lbs and 36x24x6 to 9 from 20 to 30 lbs.

I've tried in the past and spent 6 weeks in customs followed by a high tax bill to the customer. On another I got dinged with a $60 charge because the customer was "out of zone" or some excuse. Couldn't figure out why I couldn't have been told that up front.

Someone told me in the past that I should be able to ship to Canada, know the price and actually include the tax in my quote so UPS could pay it out. I'll be dang if I can figure out how and UPS is about as clear as mud on the matter.

If anyone is willing to help, it'd be appreciated.

/RB

dubliner
04-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I have a friend who lives in Northern Washington, and he picked up some lumber at a gas station on the US side to take camping. When they found it in his pick up bed & because it had a handle & price tag on they gave him so much grief about importing Lumber products into Canada, he just gave it to the Customs officer, maybe they just like to discourage timber coming in when they have so much of it.

knight_toolworks
04-27-2009, 12:50 PM
shipping out of the us is best done with the post office. ups charges so much on the delivery end it is not good.
the fees for the customer are just too high.

ron_moorehead
04-27-2009, 02:39 PM
I agree with Steve, all my shipping is through the Post Office you don't have to pay for a custom agent like you do for UPS or FedEX. You do need to fill out a Customs form at the Post Office.

ron_moorehead
04-27-2009, 02:44 PM
By the way here is the link to the USPS site for cost to ship to Canda all areas:

http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/ce_003.htm#ep2041503

10 Lbs would be about 34.75

scottbot
04-27-2009, 10:33 PM
I don't know what it's like at your end but as a Canadian who orders from the States I go out of my way to find a supplier who will ship via US Postal Service.

If UPS or FedEx gets their hands on a shipment my costs are going way up. They charge a nasty 'brokerage' fee to bless it and get it across the border.

The Postal Service is much cheaper and not an awful lot slower and ALWAYS my preferred choice of shipping.

Scott

harryball
04-28-2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks guys, I might persue making the kit available but USPS will not handle our other boxes due to the size. Everyone here seems to echo my experience with UPS and shipping to Canada.

/RB

ron_moorehead
04-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Not sure why your having problems with the Post Office on size. From the USPS web site for shipping to Canda:

216.4 Dimensional Weight
216.41 Determining Dimensional Weight for a Rectangular–Shaped Parcel
Follow these steps to determine the dimensional weight for a rectangular–shaped parcel:

Determine the length, width, and height in inches. Round off each measurement to the nearest whole inch.
Multiply the length by the width by the height.
Divide the result by 166. For weights less than 0.5 pound, round up to 0.5 pound. For all other weights, round up to the next whole pound.
216.42 Determining Dimensional Weight for a Nonrectangular–Shaped Parcel
Follow these steps to determine the dimensional weight for a nonrectangular-shaped parcel:

Determine the length, width, and height in inches. Measure the length, width, and height at their extreme dimensions. Round off each measurement to the nearest whole inch.
Multiply the length by the width by the height.
Multiply the result by an adjustment factor of 0.785.
Divide the result by 166. For weights less than 0.5 pound, round up to 0.5 pound. For all other weights, round up to the next whole pound.
216.5 Size Limits
216.51 Minimum Size
An envelope or package must be large enough to hold on its face the postage and the plastic pouch that carries the Global Express Guaranteed Air Waybill/Shipping Invoice (shipping label). The shipping label is approximately 5.5 inches high and 9.5 inches long, and the plastic pouch that carries it is approximately 7 inches high and 12 inches long.

216.52 Maximum Size
Length and girth combined may not exceed 108 inches. Individual dimensions may not exceed 46 inches in length, 35 inches in width, and 46 inches in height.

terryd
04-29-2009, 08:34 AM
We ship and receive over the border all the time and the key is to sign up with a customs broker. Cost less than half of UPS or Fedex brokerage fees and expedites everything with customs (both ends) because they just dump all the handling (paperwork) to the brokers.... Really cheap and quick. Here we clear through four different ports of entry as easy as 1,2,3. Our broker is HOC a Canuck firm but we have had packages your size clear for about $10 Canadian