PDA

View Full Version : How much clearance around machine

jazzluv
11-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Hello to all on this forum. I am considering buying a PRS alpha 48 x 96, but have a small shop in San Francisco with limited space for the machine. As a woodworker, any machine that cuts less than a 4' x 8' sheet won't work for me.

I am wondering about the clearance needed around the back and ends of the machine:

1. Is it hard to load full sheets from the front as opposed to doing it from the ends?

2. If the back and the left end were close to a wall would that be okay? If I needed access to the back or left side could I pull the machine out, with say a pallet jack, without too much fussing around?

Thanks for any info you have for me.

jerry_stanek
11-22-2013, 03:00 PM
I only have about 18 inches on the one side and 24 on the head side I load from the side or front with no problem. I cut a lot of 1 inch 4x8 sintra

coryatjohn
11-22-2013, 03:04 PM
You'll need a good eight feet on the left or right side of the machine (the front is on one of the long sides) in order to load sheet goods. I have nine feet and it's absolutely plenty. On the back side, I have just enough for a thin human to squeeze though and on the right side I have a couple of feet. You'll also need space somewhere very close to the machine for your computer.

bcondon
11-22-2013, 05:43 PM
I have the same machine.

I have 24" on the back and right end
I have 5' on left end (but I have my control box bolted to my frame on that end)
I have 6' in front of the machine.

Loading over the side rails is not bad but certainly not ideal. I wished I have more space on the left end and load from there.

I also wish I had more than 24" on the back because every now and them I need to clamp something down on that far corner and it is tight

Good luck!

Bob Condon

coryatjohn
11-22-2013, 09:03 PM
I have the same machine.

I have 24" on the back and right end
I have 5' on left end (but I have my control box bolted to my frame on that end)
I have 6' in front of the machine.

Loading over the side rails is not bad but certainly not ideal. I wished I have more space on the left end and load from there.

I also wish I had more than 24" on the back because every now and them I need to clamp something down on that far corner and it is tight

Good luck!

Bob Condon

It seems to me the only real place to skimp on the space is the back of the machine. I rarely need to go there.

feinddj
11-22-2013, 10:28 PM
A self serving answer would be to come and use my machine in San Carlos. I have thirty four inches on either side and a bit less at the back. You do need to have room at the front at least equal to the length of the machine. Pay attention to the total machine size, not just the size of the table too.

David

Seriously, if you need to look at a machine locally, let me know.

catbourger
11-23-2013, 01:38 AM
Greg,

Let me add my machine to David's for your inspection. I have a lot of room at the front and back, about 10 ft on the right and only 3 ft on the left. It seems to work OK.

Karl

adrianm
11-23-2013, 03:36 AM
I have the left end open to the workshop so plenty of room there for loading. The right end is six inches off the back wall. The front has just enough room for me to get around to remove parts from the right hand side. Bit more room on the back.

Works fine for me that way and I work with 8x4 sheets most of the time.

Brady Watson
11-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Check your electrical code. In many states, there must be at least 36" of clearance in front of any electrical panel or disconnect. You'll want at least 36" of clear space behind the machine anyway to perform maintenance and to have access to the back of the tool.

You should also have a minimum of 24" at the X0 end of the tool for access as well. It is possible to load 4x8 sheets over the front X rail if you are pressed for space.

-B

chiloquinruss
11-23-2013, 11:26 AM
OK here's my 2 cents worth, 36 x 36 x 36 x 96 clearance. I have more than that but that is what I actually use. I load from the 96 end BUT do all my adjustments, bit changes, load jigs, etc,. from the 36 end. Russ

http://hobby-tronics.lenzus.com/content/21775739/r/s_48547854.jpg