PDA

View Full Version : "how I spent yesterday"

scottp55
11-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Doing American Sign Language on one side of our kids blocks,so did a couple of complete alphabets for our artist to see how drawings carve in wood. On facebook some friends asked how the "Machine" was working so posted some more "Sawdust" pics. Within minutes a friend of mines mother asked if I was selling any of them(thought she wanted a cribbage board). I said not yet, but what did she want? She wanted the ASL alphabet board to teach her grandson (4) the alphabet and sign language at the same time(and other reasons). I thought "good cause". Do you want a border on it? An inscription? Turned out I didn't have any scraps wide enough for the inscription on the front, so on the back it went and then the back looked lonely Soooooo. Started at 6am stopped 6pm.
BTW everything was done with a $6 1/8" 60 degree COUNTERSINK from Carbide Plus(we now use it for all our small vcarving as it has a .002" flat that eliminates all the fuzz on the bottom of the groove- I LOVE this bit and still using the first one I bought 6 weeks ago for anything small)http://www.carbideplus.com/Carbide_60_deg_3F_Countersink_p/333-001050.htm

Bob Eustace
11-24-2013, 05:18 PM
Very nice Scott. You are certainly getting a good handle on the Desktop.

scottp55
11-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks Bob, I think it's helped that out of the dozens of thing I've done everything has been a "one of" except one day our graphic artist canceled at the last minute and we decided to design and make a production run of a cribbage board idea on the fly. Would have been faster to follow Brady's advice and take Paul Z. up on his offer to help. Still, wouldn't be learning much without the forum.
Made a boo-boo on that board this afternoon, I thought the cherry was kind of bland so used 3D Illuminator(pine resin/citrus/lacquer) for the first time to make it "pop"a little. Bought it 3 months ago and thought I remembered the instructions(can got here damaged and label not readable). Flooded both surfaces as it was soaking in unevenly on the carving end grains/wet sanded 400(got that right) and wiped off totally with lint free, but couldn't get into all the cracks even with my boar hair wax brush pressing on the cloth. Used compressed air to blow it out OUCH!!! turned into a wooden flypaper and my fingers are still sticking to the keys. Rescued it with citrus solvent but what a mess. Never used a wiping lacquer before but should have known. Listen to me ramble. Thanks everyone for the help.

dlcw
11-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Scott, is the what you are talking about:

https://www.earthpaint.net/Product_3D_Pine_Resin.php

scottp55
11-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Thats the stuff. added 20% citrus and got it up to about 90F.

paul_z
11-25-2013, 12:39 AM
Scott,

The results are very impressive! I'm going to order a few of the bits. I think I'm going to try a single flute as well.

Thanks,

Paul Z

scottp55
11-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Hi Paul, also got their countersink with drillpoint and 90 in the 1/8" but haven't used them yet. Just measured 9 different style bits I got from them and every single was undersized EXACTLY .005" (not hard to take compared to others).
If your kind offer of a visit still stands, could use some jigging ideas( should have listened to Brady back in August). I think you'll like the bit. It was working hard on that vcarved border but was still cool at 1.2,.5,13K at .09" pass depth but first pass was clean and only ran second pass to clean up bit deflection at the .33 max depth. Offer of quilted and good coffee still stands.:)

paul_z
11-27-2013, 01:44 AM
Scott,

You have a PM.

Paul Z

scottp55
11-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Just tried their 90 degree 1/8" countersink and it does NOT work well for vcarving as the flat is to large(might have got a bad one-but don't think so) Still love their 60 degree.