PDA

View Full Version : Spindle

donclifton
10-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Of the two spindles shopbot sells which is the most reliable. I have heard of colombo but not HSD. Can both be service easly. I am using a PC router which is noisy compared to a spindle and is one of my primary reasons for wanting to go to a spindle. Where is the HSD made vs the colombo?
Thanks
Donald Clifton

knight_toolworks
10-08-2008, 01:43 AM
my HSD had held up to 500 hours so far with no problems at all.
plus we found out the bearings can handle drilling too. where the colombo can't
the HSD is italy.

donclifton
10-08-2008, 07:44 AM
I wonder how well the steel is in Italy? Maybe the bearing are made else were. Colombo sounds Italian also.
Thanks
Donald Clifton

bcammack
10-10-2008, 08:28 AM
The Colombo is made in Italy as well. I think the definition of "drilling" is subjective. I don't really feel like a 5HP Colombo such as we have would even notice the thrust forces as its bit plunged into plywood, mdf, or foam.

We cut some darned dense material 1.25" thick. Sometimes we spiral plunge and others we just plunge. (1/2" carbide 2 flute spiral bit) We just plunge slowly as to not apply overmuch thrust to the bearings.

The bearings get changed out about every three or four months of production. This is more due to the fact that the ShopBot is marginally capable of working this material. It's some difficult stuff. The bearings are top-quality pieces and we order our replacements from Alpine Bearing for about $400 a set. Takes about two days to receive them.

donclifton
10-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks, I cut 1/4 aluminum with a single flute bit powered by a 3.25 PC router. if drilling would hurt one this would kill it for sure. When the single flute bit hits the aluminum it sounds like everything is coming apart. Have you had any problem with the cooling fan on the colombo I heard they were a problem.
Thanks
Donald Clifton