PDA

View Full Version : Black box vac vs shopbot recommend vac table

Kyle Stapleton
12-01-2013, 10:30 PM
How does the black box vac table compare to the vac table on the shopbot website.
I know the black box is 1/3 the cost and pulls about -3mg than the the bot one but that is all I know and other then the money I'm not sure what the rest means.
Any help would be great.

Brady Watson
12-02-2013, 08:47 AM
One is an industrial duty solution - the other is a budget minded, 'get into the game cheap' solution. The one SB sells is complete including plumbing and everything you need for installation. The other - you're on your own.

-B

Gary Campbell
12-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Kyle...
To add to what Brady says.....
You are comparing a number of items, 2 different systems, and referring to them both as "vacuum table". Both are substantially different in specs and in included items.

ShopBot's offering is a system that includes a regen blower(3 phase, industrial vacuum pump), and all fittings to construct a distribution manifold, and I assume, instructions. There are no materials included for the table or required plenum.

The Black Box is simply a lower cost vacuum pump that uses 220V single phase power. Vacuum is provided by up to 4 central (whole house) vac motors. No plumbing other than optional valves is included. There are no materials included for the table or required plenum. Instructions are provided, most will be relevant, some may not be applicable to a ShopBot.

The major difference is in the duty cycle of the pump motors. Most regen blowers have a continuous duty cycle, which means they are made to run all day, every day. Lifespan measured in thousands of hours before a rebuild. The LightHouse vac motors have an intermittent duty cycle. I believe 60%. This means that they should be run for a period and then allowed to cool. This works well for sheet cutting as they can rest during load and unload times. Lifespan is listed as 500 hours, no rebuild, replacement only. With that said, the vast majority last thousands of hours due to lintermittant or ight use. They may not last long if used continuously on a daily basis.

Do not make the mistake of comparing (to use your words) two items where one costs 1/3 that of the other. There is no magic in today's competitive world. Most things that cost 3 times as much are worth it for a reason. This is almost like the spindle/router comparison. The lesser cost item will get the job done, put some money in your bank, and hopefully allow you to afford a better solution as you go into the future.

Kyle Stapleton
12-02-2013, 01:18 PM
So both will work, (like router vs spindle) one is just better for all day use.

What would all the plumbing cost for the black box?