PDA

View Full Version : Vaccum setup

denmanmarine
12-05-2013, 03:00 AM
Hi all,

I have a 120 60 PRS Alpha and my main work is cutting plywood sheets. I have been using basic ply/screw hold downs as the majority of the work is for through cuts but I have a number of regular jobs that require rebating half depth.

Most sheets are pretty flat but I had one last night that wasn't and I used the pressure foot which worked great but the lack of dust extraction is an issue. Being a boat builder, I have a Busch rotary vane vac pump in the workshop
(Seco SV 1016 C (http://www.buschvacuum.com/products/seco/seco+sv+1010+-+1040+c)) which we use for vac bagging jobs and it is a great pump but obviously low volume high vac.

Could this be used for a vac hold down system? if so, can someone point me to a link for a setup that will hold an 8 x 4 sheet down with through cuts?

Still confusing me.

Andrew

Brady Watson
12-05-2013, 10:05 AM
Andrew,
While that is an excellent pump for vac bagging, it lacks the airflow to be useful on your large table. It only flows 11 CFM.

You want a pump or vacuum that can flow 200+ CFM and produce at least 8 to 12 Hg". A cheap solution to this would be to use multiple shopvacs, such as a Fein Turbo III or to just buy the replacement vac motors that have similar specs.

Search for 'Black Box' on here - You can purchase or make your own setup using Lighthouse brand vacuum motors. I don't know if they ship internationally or not.

-B

denmanmarine
12-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks Brady,

One of by shop vacs sucks 380 CFM (according to the rating of 645 cubic metres per hour). It is a beast of a machine with 3 x 1200 watt motors and standard 2" hose. see http://www.aussiepumps.com.au/PDF/specSheets/cleaningEquipment/Products_Cleaning%20equipment_Vacs_3_Industrial%20 WetDry%20Vac.pdf

Do you think this may work?

Andrew

Brady Watson
12-05-2013, 04:49 PM
It's 'okay' @ about 6.3 Hg" max. If you can find one that does 7 Hg"+ that would be better. As you cut through your material and open up the kerf, you want to make sure you can deal with the leakage. So yes, I think it will work, but won't be 'awesome'.

-B

Simops
12-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Andrew,

I've been looking for a similar motor like the Lighthouse brand that would be suitable for use here as very well priced. Unfortunately could not find anything that runs on 240VAC at 50 Hz unless you want to pay big money!

If you have any better luck in sourcing something similar let me know.....

Regards

Burkhardt
12-06-2013, 01:34 AM
Andrew,

I've been looking for a similar motor like the Lighthouse brand that would be suitable for use here as very well priced. Unfortunately could not find anything that runs on 240VAC at 50 Hz unless you want to pay big money!

If you have any better luck in sourcing something similar let me know.....

Regards

The Lighthouse motors that I have seen are brushed motors that will not care if 50 or 60 Hz. Some of them do have 220/240 V so you can run them right away. They ship abroad but I don't know how much that costs.

scottp55
12-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Wanted to ship a couple of carbide bits for Christmas to a friend in OZ (1 ounce) and found that anything under a pound was $50! by USPS and UPS was a $100!! OUCH!

Brady Watson
12-06-2013, 09:07 AM
You Australian kids should look for whole house or central vacuum replacement motors in your neck of the woods. Find out max CFM & Hg" or H2O" or mm or m3 etc. Somebody on that rock has to have them.

-B

gbradley
12-06-2013, 11:20 AM
We have had customers call us and they would run several shop vacs in parallel one ends up burning out what is the cost of that?

Brady Watson
12-06-2013, 11:38 AM
I think around $95 or so each motor.

-B

Simops
12-06-2013, 03:24 PM
The Lighthouse motors that I have seen are brushed motors that will not care if 50 or 60 Hz. Some of them do have 220/240 V so you can run them right away. They ship abroad but I don't know how much that costs.

I contacted them some months ago and was told they had none at 50hz ........I was told here by electrician that motors sent over from States that are 60 Hz run hotter and reduced RPM and burn out quicker.......hence why I did not order.

I did find similar spec vac motors here but I could buy from USA and ship here much cheaper than local purchase.......so still. Looking!

Cheers