12-20-2013, 10:36 AM
I made this for the Donald family whose origin is Scotland

Brady Watson
12-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Superb! Thanks for posting.

-B

scottp55
12-20-2013, 12:03 PM
Very Nice! What bit for frame bevel? Walnut?

Chuck Keysor
12-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Phil, that is a very attractive plaque! As odd as it may sound, I especially admired that you made a frame out of other stock, instead of trying to carve the plaque and the frame out of one big chunk of wood.

It seems an awful lot of people figure it would be easier to carve the plaque and frame all out of one block of wood. But the end result always strikes me as strange as it somehow seems to make the entire composition look clunky to me. So I like your separately made frame, as it really makes the project look crisp!

Thanks, and Merry Christmas, Chuck

Brian Harnett
12-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Very nice great detail and finish.

phil_o
12-21-2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks gentlemen. The wood is walnut. I used clear shellac for the finish. I'm very pleased with how it enhances the walnut. I used a 90 degree bit on a router table to chamfer the edges of the frame.
As for the frame. It's great when someone appreciates the extra work to get the details right. An integral frame can work well if the material is MDF but real wood should be a frame and panel design to prevent warping.

Phil

khaos
12-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Phil I love this. It looks like a valued family antique right now!! Awesome! I have to ditto chuck about the frame. Its a detail that to me brings something extra and maybe authentic to the piece.

I would hang something like that on my wall in a minute!

Merry Christmas.