View Full Version : ShopVac HP?

wespor
12-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Eventually I'll get a dust collector but for now it's just going to be a ShopVac with a Dust Deputy. What I haven't been able to determine in my forum searching is what power/size of ShopVac is ideal?

I was thinking of getting a little unit (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041HXXS4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER) like this since the Deputy will be collecting most of my dust but the smaller units have less HP. Will I need something more powerful?

Thanks

Bob Eustace
12-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Weston we started with a large Festool. It didnt work to good at all sadly. Apparently you need heaps of CFM and not hi velocity. Changing to the Kent dust shoe did improve it a lot. Eventually ended up with a 1200 CFM Jet and boy did it make a difference! Not much dearer than you getting another Shopvac and a Dust Deputy. One of our first jobs on the Bot was to make a Dust Deputy caddy. Still got it and use it for bot clean ups. Breathing issues disappeared after installing the Jet Vortex, something its a good idea to consider over dollars!

scottp55
12-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Beg to disagree on the Desktop though Bob, used a 750 cfm delta with the desktop at first and a 15 yr old sears screamer 2.25hp did a better job of chip removal-----but the dust and noise and cleaning filters drove me nuts. got the Fein hepa 2 with dust deputy and my coffee stays clean 2' away even sitting all afternoon cold. Never have to use full power except with 1/4" bits(and that's only because I don't have a longer bristle or spacer). Incredible for sanding as well with 5"RO. Shop has never been cleaner of dust(NOT neater though). Depends what tools he'll be running as well as the Desktop I suppose. Been working a brittle black wood for 2 months and the hepa filter still looks new. 2 cents

Brady Watson
12-26-2013, 10:25 PM
A shopvac is just fine for a little Desktop. The dust foot is made for smaller hoses and necking down a 4" hose to 2" loses a lot of performance.

For a full size tool, you want something at least 1.5 hp. If you are on a tight budget, bypass the dust deputy & shopvac and wait until you can find a dust collector on sale. They are pretty simple & don't really 'go bad' besides maybe a starter capacitor or if it was REALLY abused - so check Craigslist, local paper and online sales.

Harbor Freight has sales on them too & if you throw a 20-25% coupon at it, it gets pretty cheap. You can go to wallymart and find a magazine that has the coupon you need to get the discount.

-B

Bob Eustace
12-26-2013, 11:12 PM
Sorry Scott I didnt realise Weston was a Desktopper! I use the forum using the "New Post" method so I dont know what sections the posts are from.

scottp55
12-27-2013, 07:41 AM
"Desktopper" I kinda like it. Better than "The Little People":)

Bob Eustace
12-27-2013, 02:21 PM
Scott a Desktop or Handibot are on my to buy list just for labelling stuff.

scottp55
12-27-2013, 04:53 PM
You'll love it-Even Brady got one:) Will the Handi-bot do what you need? Don't see many people on here and thought we would have heard.

Brady Watson
12-27-2013, 05:25 PM
The HandiBot would be neat for making an automated fence, like the one Rockler sells for only $600 or so...I would use it for a router table fence and even digital saw table fence - but there comes a point where things just get too complicated - advantage analog...

The DT is a sweet little tool. I've been a foolin' with it the last day or two...I've got some neat mods planned for it.

-B

scottp55
12-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Handibot as a fence? That means DT--------Ouch my brain just bent! Never thought about it. Please keep the Peons Posted on mods- Pretty Please:)

Chazz
12-27-2013, 09:03 PM
I am currently using a Ridged WD06700 (5.8 Amp) shopvac on my Desktop. It comes with a smaller hose (1.5 inch I think) and the nozzle fits inside the connection on the shopbot. This made a lot of noise and didn't really do that great of a job. I replaced just the hose with a 2.5 inch hose. The nozzle now fits outside of the connection on the shopbot (loosely) and I hold it in place with a cable-tie. It seems to work better and makes less noise. I have a dust collection system that I am progressing towards using and am interested to see the relative performance....