View Full Version : Cleaning woodgum from bits

Chazz
12-27-2013, 09:06 PM
After carving my router bit drawer out of a 2x10 I had laying around, I found that the bit was very gummed up with what I presume is wood sap. The wood was not pressure treated or anything like that.

What is the best solvent to clean this up with?

Kyle Stapleton
12-27-2013, 10:00 PM
"Simple Green" works great

myxpykalix
12-28-2013, 02:47 AM
mineral spirits?:confused:

Roy Harding
12-28-2013, 05:09 AM
mineral spirits?:confused:

Works fine. Anything you have laying around that cleans up paint will clean up the wood gum.

scottp55
12-28-2013, 06:35 AM
Most woodworking stores carry a"pitch and gum remover" for bits and blades. It's a lye base so be careful to wear gloves(Eats your skin ask how I know). One of the lye oven cleaners would probably work as well. Lube after.

shilala
12-28-2013, 02:45 PM
I was using Boeshield blade and bit, which works great.
Then I tried Simple Green. Works just as well at a fraction of the price.
I've read controversy about using oven cleaners, folks saying that it can eat welds on bits and make them fail. I have no idea if it's true, sounds a bit silly.
All things being equal, I'm just going to stick with Simple Green.

Brady Watson
12-28-2013, 09:58 PM
I always use acetone. I'll give the SG a try.

-B

Chazz
12-29-2013, 12:24 AM
I read in other places that Simple Green had some issue; but that Simple Green HD was supposed to be fine... I will check out these at the store....

Thanks all!

scottp55
12-29-2013, 05:12 AM
I made a bad profile cut on a deep pin register hole cut yesterday and TOTALLY gunked up a 1/4" upcut. Old can of lye based bit and blade cleaner was in garage and so cold it wouldn't spray so tried citrus solvent. Even after soaking 20 minutes and using a brass brush the worst of it didn't come off without 10 minutes of serious brushing. set it aside and after can warmed used a little and let sit for 5 minutes Last stubborn stuff came off with only toothbrush.
Found this this morning.http://www.carbideprocessors.com/pages/saw-blades/cleaning-saw-blades.html

Chazz
12-30-2013, 10:00 AM
For the deposits that I have been getting, mineral spirits have been doing the trick. I soak them for a while, then brush them with an acid brush which I trimmed down to about 3/8".

All I need now is to find a good lubricant and I think I am done with learning the basics of this part of the ShopBotting.... lol

I cleaned on of my downcut bits and just used it after drying. It gummed up a lot faster. I suspect that some sort of lubricant will help with this.

scottp55
12-30-2013, 10:16 AM
I use brass brush after bit taken out and then Dri-Cote bit and inspect before putting away. After gunking up that 1/4" just rubbed collet with clean paper towel with citrus solvent to be double safe and towel showed a LOT of resin that was invisible to naked eye-so checked collet nut and spindle cone as well and they were coated as well. Started inspecting bits after every use after taking the .5" straight out and finding a nick in it We have no idea how it happened. Have an idea it may have been a metal splinter embedded in spoilboard.

pfulghum
06-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Easy Off oven cleaner and 5 minutes of wait time.