View Full Version : First photo v carve projects

sawkerf
12-29-2013, 10:44 PM
These are some photo V carves projects I just finished for Christmas gifts. Now hopefully I can sell some now! These things are addictive!

sawkerf
12-29-2013, 10:46 PM
Never could figure out how to post more than one pic

sawkerf
12-29-2013, 10:47 PM
One more pic

Brady Watson
12-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Lookin' good :cool:

Do you like the crosshatch pattern? I usually just do a 45 deg, but don't criss-cross them.

-B

sawkerf
12-29-2013, 11:35 PM
Well, I have only done these three and I think these turned out great. I did a test piece in MDF with only one pass and I thought it was ok. The photo really doesn't do them justice, they look even better in person. I personally prefer the maple over the cherry. The maple one just blew me away when I stained it, it just burst into life! Btw, does anyone have a clue what these should sell for? I am planning to move more toward products like this and get away from cabinets.

Brady Watson
12-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Pricing is all subjective. 'Crafts' sell better in middle America than they do on the Coasts. Some of the things people show on here would never sell in my neck of the woods because people just aren't into the whole country motif.

Play around with different scenes, give one or two to the wife to show off to her friends or at work etc. The women are good judges of what is appealing & how much they would pay for it. Not many men are going to buy these types of things, unless they are for a woman!

Try it on & see how it works. You never know where it will take you.

-B

myxpykalix
12-30-2013, 01:11 AM
kip
when posting pictures do as you do when posting one picture by going to
manage attachments

but go right back to the buttons
choose file/upload
repeat choose file/upload for up to 5 pics per post
:D
good work:D

jkaras2000
12-30-2013, 05:18 AM
Hi Guys: Nice work Kip. I just picked up photo carve recently. Have not tried it yet. Can you folks suggest woods that work well with it, solid woods or plywoods etc. Also, what types of bits work well also. Thanks. Joe

chiloquinruss
12-30-2013, 10:41 AM
In our neck of the very rural left coast, things that look too mechanical (computer/machine generated) don't sell well and if they do sell they don't go for much. The more 'hand done' look to them the easier to sell and the higher the prices. Things like photo based products are really hard sell. Rough cut 3d stuff with a slight going over with a wood chisel sell very well. Just a thought from rural Oregon. Russ

sawkerf
12-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Thanks jack, I tried that unsuccessfully on my iPhone. Apparently you can't post photos from an iPad and it's limited on the iPhone. I don't often get the chance to web surf on the PC.

Burkhardt
12-30-2013, 07:52 PM
A while ago I experimented with photo-engraving (not with the Vectric software) but my results were not that good, your's are much better.

But I did get some nice results with "edge detect" photoshopping an image (actually using GIMP) , then normal v-carving after some vector cleanup. You do need a good original photo for that where the object of interest really stands out. It would probably not be good method for portraits either. I did that a long time ago and would have to figure out the image processing again.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-LfH_bX94SGE/Tci7TfOMqrI/AAAAAAAACdI/jOJxAcV3xOk/w1024-h549-no/P1020663.JPG