PDA

View Full Version : ShopBot Desktop makes a Big Wheels

WoodMarvels.com
12-31-2013, 06:21 PM
Hi guys... been quite busy. I wanted to challenge myself so I decided to build something that's too big and takes too long to build with my ShopBot Desktop.

http://youtu.be/6GqDFWNhR2c

SomeSailor
12-31-2013, 06:42 PM
Wow. Impressive, but how many hours did that take? And 10 sheets of ply? Yikes!

Well done, but better you than me. :)

WoodMarvels.com
12-31-2013, 07:06 PM
The cutting and assembly video is 30x fast, so each frame = one second... it goes on for about 15 minutes.... 30 x 15 minutes = way too long.

It wasn't the 10 full sheets that scared me, it was the 240 tiles I had to make to be able to fit it on my ShopBot Desktop! Full sheet router this project is a joke... desktop, this project is insanity. Very relieved I got everything working right the first time around!

Jon

scottp55
12-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Jon, The fact that you got it anywhere near right the first time is amazing-Had to laugh when you got the pedals wrong the second time though. Didn't catch your tiling reference (screws/pins/bolts?) though.How did you do that? Some assembly required warning should be attached in Bold print :)

MogulTx
12-31-2013, 10:23 PM
If you were to recut the "axles" or the "wheel" interiors and put a PVC pipe sleeve (plastic sewer pipe) into the mix, your contraption would be peddle-able. It would roll pretty smoothly, I bet. And would last for longer thant eh adults would at peddling it.... ( just my 2Cents worth)!

It is a great design and I watched through it because I enjoy someone who sticks with their project and figures out even complex assemblies.

Good job.

Brady Watson
01-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Nice!!!!

http://gabrielwarriorpoet.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/roll_300.gif

WoodMarvels.com
01-01-2014, 05:52 AM
@Scott - I do all my tiling by eye... I'm always a few mm off so no big deal but did cause some issues when I was using 3 tiles for some parts but that's why we have jigsaws to fix mistakes made by over-confident CNC operators. Yeah, the first time I screwed-up the pedals I was mad, the SECOND time it's a good thing I use time lapse as I was yelling expletives the whole way through as it's 5x more work to undo something and rebuild it especially after most of the glue has set.

@MGM - never thought of a PVC pipe, that would work perfect... like I mentioned in the video, the design does work fine, just the friction when you are sitting on it is too much for the plywood on plywood to slide and I'll leave that up to others to play with. I've moved on.

@Brady - thanks! It's how I roll as well!

Jon

dana_swift
01-01-2014, 09:47 AM
That is quite a project! Well worth the watch. Reminds me of my spinning wheel project all cut on a ShopBot, built from a single sheet of 12mm plywood. Works great too!

Thanks for posting it- Soon I will be posting the spinning wheel also. Just need to fine where to post it so the files are freely available to the public. They are too big to post on here. I am not selling the spinning wheel files, they are available under the creative commons license, so you cant sell the wheels, but you can build as many as you like as gifts.

The key part of the spinning wheel was to use skateboard bearings so it turns smoothly, that avoided the problems you had with the rear wheel friction. Good thing my wheel only has one pedal!

Enjoyed the video!

D

WoodMarvels.com
01-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Look forward to seeing it Dana... I don't spend as much time as I'd like on these boards (or any others) as I just have to much stuff to design and build so if you can please e-mail me cantinjon@gmail.com when it does come out - I'd greatly appreciate it.

In my mind the friction issue didn't exist... in reality it became a concern but because of the way I build it, it's an extremely minor one to work around for just about anybody with some skills. I do like the PVC tube idea though, I was thinking of a very thin sheet of metal. Will be fun to see what people come-up with.

Jon