PDA

View Full Version : Scrap wood or Waste wood.

genek
01-06-2014, 12:04 AM
Had our local Food City Store Manager call wanting to buy scrap wood.

They are paying $2.50 per bundle for kindling. (8" x 8" 10" long) These strips are just sliced wood about .25 inches thick at best.

Those of you who buy rough lumber and edge saw to square. Your local Grocery Store may want to buy your scrap wood.

I was told due to the sever cold that they can not keep enough on hand right now and that they will buy all the scrap wood that I have.

good way to let your scrap help pay for your wood.

myxpykalix
01-06-2014, 04:21 AM
Now you tell me! I had a guy come and help me clean my shop and we loaded a trailer full of scraps. Luckily it's still sitting on the side of the house. I see split logs bundled that the grocery store sells but not wood scraps.

Do they specify what species they want? I just gave away 8 big bags of sawdust pine, oak, maple, walnut (all separated):eek:

genek
01-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Now you tell me! I had a guy come and help me clean my shop and we loaded a trailer full of scraps. Luckily it's still sitting on the side of the house. I see split logs bundled that the grocery store sells but not wood scraps.

Do they specify what species they want? I just gave away 8 big bags of sawdust pine, oak, maple, walnut (all separated):eek:
Jack Our local has split wood for sale also. what they were wanting was kindling and the don't care what kind it is... as I edge wood today I will also chop it to 10" length and bundle it up. check with you local store and see if they want to buy your scrap as kindling.

Kyle Stapleton
01-07-2014, 10:17 AM
Tried and no one wants if, but all of are scrap is pine and not hardwood.

genek
01-07-2014, 10:51 AM
tried and no one wants if, but all of are scrap is pine and not hardwood.
did you offer it as kindling. Make a bundle 8 x 8 x 10" long to show them.

Our local grocery store has taken all of our scrap and is looking for more.

Kyle Stapleton
01-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Yup, they said it would not sell.
Will try a different place today.

Brady Watson
01-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Bundle it yourself & put it on CL. Show pic of bundle & price. Offer a discount for multiples. In NJ, I pay $5 for 1/8 to 1" X 1.25" X 18" cut offs @ about a 15" around bundle. I fill the truck up & I've got kindling for at least one season. All hardwood - maybe a piece of pine here or there.

-B

myxpykalix
01-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Brady,
In NJ, I pay $5 for 1/8 to 1" X 1.25" X 18" cut offs @ about a 15" around bundle

you pay?... i thought you would generate enough scrap in your own shop:confused: lol
Today was no day to be out in the shop that's for sure....:eek:

genek
01-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Bundle it yourself & put it on CL. Show pic of bundle & price. Offer a discount for multiples. In NJ, I pay $5 for 1/8 to 1" X 1.25" X 18" cut offs @ about a 15" around bundle. I fill the truck up & I've got kindling for at least one season. All hardwood - maybe a piece of pine here or there.

-B
Brady if you ever get a chance to come to Ky let me know will get you all the free wood ... I am actually going to the saw mill to empty their waste bins to make into fire wood and Kindling... The saw mill I use, have waste bins that would fill a 10 wheel dump truck.